Find
Notify
Tools

Re: FIVE STATION CHOKE ADVICE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Assuming your gun has selectors, you will find that if you use your top barrel for your first shot, normally your most open choke, you will have a very slightly faster recoil recovery because the barrel is more in line with the comb and comes back a little straighter. So, put your more open choke in the top barrel.

gato-

Are you sure?

Your bottom barrel will give you more of a "straight-line" recoil than the top. The top barrel will tend to make the muzzle rise more than the bottom. The top barrel is definitely further above the centerline of the gun, so physics is gonna rule. Another way to think of it is like this... will your bottom barrel make the shotgun recoil DOWNWARD? Of course not, but the top barrel WILL give you a bit more muzzle rise.

The older fixed choke guns had the tighter choke on top for a reason...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guy's sure did a great job on that one....Thanks again! Now here's another. My Grandson just bought an NEF 20Ga. to hunt his first year of big game (deer), and I would like to get a sling installed on it. There is no front swivel mount and I was wondering if there is a device I could get that would clamp on the barrel?? Appreciate you advice or ideas....gotta keep the young ones interested. Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoker-

Check Brownell's ( www.brownells.com ) or maybe Numrich's ( www.gunparts.com ) for a barrel band sling swivel attachment. I know I have one on a Rem M760 rifle, so chances are they make one for shotguns as well...

While I've never had an NEF or looked at one close, is there a reason that you can't use a screw-in front stud in the forend? You can pick up a set of Uncle Mike's at your local gun shop (or Wal-Mart for that matter). If not in the bottom of the wood, how about on the front end, below the barrel? Just a thought...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not according to all the guys who shoot the top barrel first in trap doubles, where recoil recovery is critical. I've never seen a scientific study of it though. In addition, most trap and similar games have much higher combs than field or sporting clays guns so it might be true for them and not true for SC. At any rate, there is NO doubt that it makes for a much faster third shot in the field.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cold Bore, I didn't find any help on either site but sure apprecaite you effort. When I was a kid we used to use a piece of cloths line . Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote