Find
Notify
Tools

Clay pigeons!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hallo
I would like to make my own clay pigeons ,I will make a mold and then cast them myself.I was wondering if somebody has a recipe of how to make their own clay pigeon.Will it be something that you will have to bake or will it cure by itself.
The reason why I would like to do this is because of the cost of claypigeons here in South Africa ,the only thing more expensive is the shells.Any suggestions or alternatives would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Johan,

Sorry, but I've never heard of anyone making their own. I've been to the West Coast White Flyer production plant many times and they are extremely secretitive with their production methods. They don't even want you looking into the part of the plant that actually forms and cures the clays.

Good luck with your search.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded billians of clay targets in machines because I worked at a rifle/shotgun club when I was young.

Clay targets are a petroleum product. Dont know any reciepes to make them though

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.Guess I will have to pay that $30 for 150 pigeons.WIll keep you posted if I find the magic formula.
Regards
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Daaaayyyyuuuum! That's just about 10 times what they go for around here...... Guess I should quit complaining?

There's not a skeet club around that'll sell you a box or three? Hard to imagine. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read something last year about a process to make them out of ice. I can't imagine that they would hold up well to a commercial trap machine.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If I was going to try that I'd start with a fine, cheap powder and add a highly thinned amount of asphalt to make a slurry. How much of each is pure conjecture but we just talked a bunch about diatomatious earth which would serve as the powder.

The black clay pidgeons have an asphalt compound in them (that is what makes hogs so sick when they eat them). Roofing tar with a bunch of mineral spirits? Diesel? I dunna know. If you have time or cheap labor you might be able to make something usable.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Here ya' go !!! I might have to get a couple of these molds myself.

Ecotargets

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Ice targets aren't going to hold up real well for our friend in South Africa, especially this time of year. Better shoot them right out the ice chest. Wink

I agree that it would be tough to get them to throw without breaking on the trap arm. You would have to back the spring way off.

It might also help to mix in a little grass or mesh or something to help hold them together.

Don't forget the coloring. Smiler

Along the same lines - I made some rabbit targets out of thick black rubber. They come out of the machine just fine. They bounce a little extra but I don't think anyone would know when shooting at them. I shot one as a test with an extra full choke. About 30 pellets hit it and it hardly even changed course. It's a great practice joke waiting to happen.

My brother machined a typcial "clay target" out of aluminum and painted it. It looks perfect. I still haven't pulled that trick on anyone either.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ice would work if kept cold enough but logistically that would cost more than the real thing.

What you really need is to introduce ZZ Bird in SA. Reusable targets ten times harder to hit than clays. Great game but it seems to have a hard time catching on here.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, you can shoot them in the enclosed SKI HILL they are building in Dubai. Yes that is right, they are constructing an enormous tube that is refrigerated, complete with a high speed quad chair lift and snow making equipment. I got an email with photos and will post them here. Now you could probably freeze the molds in the air. Some people have waaaay to much disposable income.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote