Find
Notify
Tools

Browning auto 3
 Login/Join

<alaskamaryann>
posted
Hi
Can anyone give me some info about a 3 shot Browning auto in 16 ga. Looks just like an auto 5.Is it chambered 2-9/16 or 2-3/4? Where is the safety located?
Thanks
Steve

<fishnfool>
posted
The early Browning A5 models were made by FN and had a safety built into the front of the triggerguard. The safety pushed away from and towards the trigger. The early models fired 2 9/16" shells which are still manufactured by a few companies, but pricey and hard to find. The later models had a modern crossbolt safety and fired 2 3/4" shells.

I've never heard of an A3. If you want some pics go to Auction Arms or Gunbroker.com and do a search for "A5" or "auto 5".

<mregalia>
posted
alasksmaryann,

Are you sure it is not a Remington Model 11 Sportsman. Looks identical to the Browning A-5 but has a shorter forearm and only hold 3 shells. I have a couple fullsize Model 11's and an A-5 and they are amost exactly the same. Some of the early Remington Model 11 barrels say Browning on them.

Matt

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alaskamaryann:
Hi
Can anyone give me some info about a 3 shot Browning auto in 16 ga. Looks just like an auto 5.Is it chambered 2-9/16 or 2-3/4? Where is the safety located?
Thanks
Steve

Yes, Browning made A-5's with 3-shot forearms . . . primarily for the European market.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
I own one ot the Browning 3 shot sixteens - I inherited it from my father. The gun was bought new in 1930 and it was chambered for 2 9/16" shells. As far as I know all of these guns had sliding safties as opposed to push button type and I have never seen one that did not have to have the bolt release depressed to slide shells into the magazine. Mine has a 28" Bbl with raised solid rib and is bored to IMP Modified as marked with *-. It was opened up many years ago to allow it to shoot 2 3/4" shells. A further note might include that as far as I know all of these guns had a stamp embossed in the bottom of the fore end that said "Browning 3-shot" Mine was changed when the gun was opened out to shoot longer shells but I still have the old fore arm.
The gun will go to my grandson when he gets old enough to use it so I suppose you could say we will continue the traditon of the hump-back Browning.
Great old guns, these old Brownings.