THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Picked up Model 12 Win. 12 guage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up Model 12 Win. 12 guage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys:

I picked up a winchester Model 12 in twelve guage. It is in great condition, all except the guy cut the stock way to short. I would like to know if anybody has a model 12 stock for sale, or where I can find one.

Would you guys refinish this shotgun or leave it as is for collectors value? I bought it as part of a gun collection that was for sale.

Regards Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would depend on the vintage as to if it was worth anything.

My suspicion, sight unseen is that it is not worth much, regardless of condition. They made tons of them.

If it has factory engraving, if there is some kind of provenance, if its older rather than newer would all tend to increase the value.

Typically the smaller gauges are worth more as well.

Since you have to replace the stock, and you are thinking of refinishing, it cannot be in that "great" of condition- ie NIB level, and you didn't say anything about the above, I suspect you have a good shooter.

Put a new stock on it that you like (lots of companies make drop ins if that's what you want) and do what you want with it. Have fun with the thing, that's what it was made for...

Posts: 10605 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran it's serial number in Winchester database and it was made in 1946, has the matching serial numbers barrel and receiver. It has 30 in barrel with full choke.

Finally figured out how to take off barrel. The firing pin and assembly is like new. The barrel inside looks perfect.

I just may put another Model 12 stock and finish both forearm and stock. The 12 gauges and older model have the 18 line forearm, like this one. Forearm is almost perfect.

Thanks for info.

PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try shooting "squared up" on the target, weight forward.

Short stocks are great for this stance.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your model 12 is should sell for $400+. Keep the original stock and replace it. Google "winchester model 1w stock". You will find a number of choices. With a new stock it will be worth $500+.