Find
Notify
Tools

Brass height??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does it make a difference?

I was looking at some Cheddite hulls at Grafs, and they list 8mm, 16mm, and 25mm brass heights.

Just curious if there is a strength difference, or if it's more for indentification.

thanks

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al,
There isn't any strength difference between the various brass height of Cheddite hulls. They are all constructed the same, internally. They are of the poly-formed type. Try to avoid the 25mm brass height. The sizing ring in some machines is too short (Lee) and will create difficulties removing the hull from it.
Lefteris.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al,
In cerrecting my above post, the problem with the 25mm brass height in Cheddite hulls isn't so much the short sizing ring but the fact that when priming and removing the sizing ring in a Lee Load-All II machine, the hull does not completly separaty from the sizing ring and you have to remove it by hand, making it somewhat difficult. Also, trying to size these hulls in a MEC Super Sizer, sizing stops a little short, creating an ugly ring around the brass.
Lefteris.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The height of the brass on shotshells has traditionally been a "code" indicating lighter vs. heavier loads with lighter loads having lower brass and heavier loads having higher brass. God only knows how this got started, as the height of the brass is totally inconsequential to the strength of the hull. I suppose that consumers thought that higher brass looked stronger, therefore the shells must be more "powerful".

In the days of paper shotshells many "high brass" hulls were also "low base" hulls, meaning that they had a shorter base wad and thus more internal capacity, making them more suited to heavier loads. Again, the height of the brass was inconsequential, but tradition dictated high brass with the low base wad.

Curiously, that tradition carries over into today, with most hunters assuming that high brass = high power, and low brass = target and field.

As has been observed, although many hulls today from the same manufacturer will have identical internal dimensions despite the external brass, the lower brass shells are typically prefered for reloading since excessively high brass can work awkwardly in some machines.

By the way, the "brass" on many shotshells is simply plated steel.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Stonecreek has pointed out the length of the brass means absolutely nothing. Many years ago the higher brass carts were the more potent but these days it means nothing. High brass is just a sales gimmick to make shooters part with thier money.

Leeboy

Posts: 26 | Location: Hampshire UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote