THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Who hunts with a percussion shottie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who hunts with a percussion shottie?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I've had a number Pedersolis and one or two originals over the years. Always wished I had given them more of a chance.
Now I have a nicely restored W.C. Scott 12-bore made in the 1860s coming my way. Look forward to learning her secrets and coaxing the best out of her. Also gives me an excuse to make another shooting bag and horn while I listen to the Oregon rain.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have and shoot two original ML shotguns. One 13 bore and one 15 bore. If you belong to OHA there was a picture of my 15 bore and a grouse taken with it in the OHA magazine last year. I've taken most of the game birds of Oregon with the 13 bore. Still need to get a turkey with one of them. I even took a 121" Blacktail buck with the 13 bore years ago at the Finley Refuge.

Take your new Scott hunting you'll not regret it.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Elk Hunter, I am an OHA member. I'll have to see if I can find the issue. I am very impressed that you took a buck at Finley with your 13-bore. The bores on the Scott are cylinder, and I do plan to try to work up a patched round ball load.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I believe the picture was in the magazine in 2014. Somewhere I have the issues that my pictures are in but can't find them right now. I plan on sending in a picture of my wife's 6x6 bull from this past season and one of my cape buffalo that I took with my 577 BPE and cast bullets. I do like OLD guns.

The blacktail was taken with a patched round ball at about 32 steps if I remember correctly. I swung like I was shooting a flushing bird. Perfect double lung shot. He went about 50 yards. It was a very lucky shot as the barrels crossed badly. Hope your Scott likes round ball.

Regards,

Dennis

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wait, you have a .577 BPE? And you took a Cape buffalo with it?

DUDE!

beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a frontal shot at 20 yards. He went about 30 yards and was down. The PH had me put two more in the shoulder. I also took a 51" Kudu on the same hunt with the same rifle. My two biggest animals with cast bullets from a mould I made.

I do like old guns especially those with two barrels rifled or smooth.

Regards,

Dennis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
does canadian goose hunting with my .62 Fusil count? It's a flinter.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich, whacking a bird on the wing with a flinter always counts!

beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I hunted quail with a guy who used a percussion double, an original I believe. I was using a semi modern Ithica double.
It was a good hunt, he seldom missed, we would stand and talk as he reloaded. Relaxing.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mark, yes, it changes the pace of the hunt, and makes you appreciate each shot. Was your Ithaca perhaps a Flues? Years ago I had one in 20 gauge with 2 1/2-inch chambers. Handled nicely.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have it, buried in the safe now. It is a 16 gauge, I have heard of Flues but not sure what one is. I have to admit I am not a shotgun guy.
This one has "1918" on the frame under the barrels and the sides have pointer dogs engraved.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have killed a few turkeys with a percussion TC New Englander in 12 ga. Haven't carried it grouse hunting yet but have killed several rabbits. Just seems like a step back and always fun.

Think I'll go dig it out!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote