THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Choke marks on a pre war FN 12ga?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choke marks on a pre war FN 12ga?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents!

On my pre-war FN hammerless there are choke marks of 18.4 and 18.3 on one barrel and 18.4 on the other. What does the marks correspond to in terms of full, half, improved etc.?

I have looked at the symbols on http://damascus-barrels.com/Be..._All_Proofmarks.html
but I can not figure out what these marks can be translated to when it comes to the modern choke designations.

I think that the .3 and .4 marks are tenths of a millimetre which could correspond to different choke steps.

sincerely

Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe those nos. represent the nominal bore diameter, 18.3 mm=.720, 18.4=.724, about normal for an old 12 ga. A full choke would be about 17.4mm. As I recall you don't usually see the choke diameter stamped on the barrel, sometimes there will be other marks though.
C.G.B.