Find
Notify
Tools

What is DENSE????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted
Alot of the new shot is advertised as denser than steel, lead. Does this mean that the pellets are heavier than the same size pellet of lead, steel???

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/...hevi-Shot_magnum.asp

quote:
...Today's turkey hunters have access to shotguns that are specifically designed to deliver dense down-range patterns at extended ranges. But nothing brings out the performance of these firearms like "Heavier Than Lead®" HEVI·SHOT pellets.

...Routinely achieves patterns in excess of 90%. Shot material alloy of tungsten, nickel and iron features a 10% higher density than lead which yields denser patterns and higher energy — a lead improvement. A superior product for serious turkey hunters.

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the problem - denser pattern or denser material. Patterns are done by counting the percentage of pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards. Always pattern your loads !!!... Denser material means of equal size shot one such as lead is heavier than steel !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete is right, you can have your cake and eat it too. If you are shooting 1 1/4 oz with a denser shot, the pellet count will be less and the pattern will be less dense. You can't have both.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something I don't understand. To me, the only way they could make it more dense would be to drop the pellet SIZE, (say from #4 to #6). This would increase the pellet count and make the pattern more dense. The bismuth/tungsten/ whatever would have to be enough heavier (dense) to make up for the smaller pellet size and yet work in the same manner, namely penetration and flight characteristics. Maybe this is what they mean. Dunno. jp

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are talking about the density of the material used to make the shot.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote