New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 12 question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
could a Browning made Model 12 20 ga be modified to shoot 3" shells after the chamber is lengthened to 3"????

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the ejection port is long enough.

With enough money most anything can be done.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opened up an early 16ga mod 12 with a 2 9/16" chamber to 2 3/4", the 2 3/4" shell would not pass through the ejection port, fortunately I shoot an english 16 with a 2 1/2" chamber so lots of shorter shells I have been told that opening the ejection port can done. Your gunsmith should have the answer for you......
Do you really need a longer shell? Hand loading should get you an extra 1/8th of an oz and good use of chokes will ensure good pattern density...

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the itch for a 20 ga turkey gun and in that case a 3" would be better than a 2 3/4 shell...

probably will handload TSS shot.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M12 in 12 ga was made in 3" so would guess( operative word) it could be done. Need a smith that has experience with them.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
I'm getting the itch for a 20 ga turkey gun and in that case a 3" would be better than a 2 3/4 shell...

probably will handload TSS shot.

troy

Just get them to come closer then 30 yards and your 20 will work just fine with 2 3/4 loads.

My 20 model 12 as a very tight full choke I belive I could kill turkeys with it out to 40.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog, I think I've got the killing part down pretty good if 150+ gobblers is any indication.

I may go with a sxs 20 ga .....I just like a 3" for KILLING turkeys. I know a 2 3/4 will do it IF I stick to the guns killing range. Heck, I use a 20 yard sure killing 410 single shot sometimes....

troy
I still think I'd rather have a 3" 20....

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would run the risk of screwing up a very nice shotgun in trying to convert a 20ga M12 to a 3" gun. However if your 2 3/4" gun will feed and eject an unfired 3" shell, the possibility exist that the project could be accomplished. Two places that were really big on M12 work back in the day that could do a better job of not only answering your questions but be capable of doing the work are Simmons Guns in Kansas and Nu Line Guns.
Keep in mind that the 3" model 12 was designed to fire paper shotgun shells and they are shorter than plastic.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote