New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditions O/U
 Login/Join

<dennishoddy>
posted
Has anybody out there had any experience with them? I have a friend that is just a little past entry level in the shotgunning field, and is looking at dumping his mossburg 500, and is looking at a Traditions O/U in 20ga. It is mfg. by Fausti in Italy. I didn't know anything about it, and knew that one of the learned shotgunners in this board would have some input. [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with them comes only from having a buddy that owns & shoots one. He has a 12ga O/U and it seems to be a decent enough gun. It's kind of basic in terms of its exterior refinement (wood/metal fit and finish), but it goes boom when you pull the trigger. I don't think it's a bad gun eventhough it won't get you nominated for "guy with the coolest gun" at your local club.

I would suspect that it might be difficult to get these guns serviced if anything went wrong. Then again, not too much usually goes wrong with a double gun. The Tradition line of O/U's are, in my experience, a relatively low cost double barrel gun that could be considered a good value.

I'm not too much help here, but I just haven't heard much in terms of track record for Fausti or Traditions. They may be great, but I haven't seen them stand the test of time.

[ 08-30-2002, 19:47: Message edited by: B_Koes ]

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is he looking to buy one from Walmart? They carry them, around $500. I have looked them over -- they seem nicely made and pretty well balanced, LOP a little short for my taste. VERY stiff opening, but I'm sure it would loosen up.

The only thing I didn't like was the pressed in 'engraving.' I like Ruger's view best, if you're not going to do the real thing, best leave it off entirely.

For the same money, I'd look at one of the used spanish/turkish guns -- Huglu, AyA, etc. (seen a couple recently for ~$400). Or a Stoeger -- parts / service would probably be easier.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
Spent the day at the range, shooting 5-stand. A fellow showed up with a traditions o/u he purchased in March from wallyworld for 500.00. I remembered your post, so asked him about it. He had had some ignition problems, so sent it to the factory and the gun was returned after 21 days total, with a new firing pin and spring. He is new to shotgunning, and shot it very well! He let me shoot a round with it, and I found it a good shooter--handled well. The opening was NOT stiff--felt quite good, in fact. Regards, Chuck