New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing in Olympia on silencer bill.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I attended the House Judiciary Committee hearing this morning. One of the five bills heard was bill 1016, to amend silencer use restrictions. The hearing went well, the bill is expected to go to the House where it will pass.

The Senate is less likely to pass the bill. Senator Kline and the rest of the Judiciary committee need lots of letters. You can find them here; http://www.leg.wa.gov/pages/home.aspx

Here are the Senate Judiciary committee members. http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/C...es/MembersStaff.aspx

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
We need to be working on this in DC as well.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
We need to be working on this in DC as well.

I don't think there's a Federal law against silencers, Just a tax

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Collins you like giving the Govt money?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
And if you don't pay the tax, and build a silencer you go to jail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to be careful in DC. There are many in DC that probably think silencers are illegal. The same morons who dance in the blood of shooting victims to bring attention to their gun control bills may be surprised to hear that silencers are legal when paying a $200 tax.

When they find out that inflation has made the $200 tax nearly insigificant compared to what it was in 1934, they might raise it to $3500 to make it meaningful again.

I will support any effort to lower it to the $5 charged for AOW's or eliminate it, but we need the right bill and sponsors. In the meantime I am concentrating on WA State laws.

Ranb

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Collins you like giving the Govt money?

I'm a defense contractor... I get it back Wink

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoping here in Michigan with the new governor we can have sound supressors. But then so many people have left the state you don't need one. Other than me who's left, to hear a gun shot.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Michigan AG wrote an opinion saying that the ATF form 4 used to register machine guns and silencers met the intent of the law requiring a license to own a machine gun.

You need to talk to your Senator or Representative and get them to ask the AG for an opinion on registered silencers. Of course in order to convince your legislator to write the letter asking for the opinion you may need to educate them on the legalties of owning silencers, how they are used, how they benefit everyone and prove that they are rarely ever used in crime in Michigan.

As part of my effort to pass a law allowing silencer use in WA, I wrote to every sheriff in the state and obtained a list that showed a total of ten silencer related crimes for the entire state for as long as they kept records on the law.

It will take a while and some effort, but it can be done.

Ranb