Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Socom
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I'd like to hear from someone that has experience suppressing a .458 Socom, particularly a Rock River upper.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I believe that member Tony Rumore uses one. Invite him to this thread via PM.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
PM sent, thanks for the info.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an AR-15 with a RRA upper in 458 socom. I made a two point mounted silencer for it that covers about 4" of the barrel and has about 8" sticking out in front of the muzzzle. It is .125" thick 1.750" aluminum tube with stainless blast baffle and aluminum baffles. I should have made it with at least 10" out in front of the muzzle as no one is impressed with the noise reduction. I've made other silencers that suppressed better. I'd go with a muzzle mounted can if I did it again.

I typically shoot 500 grain cast (with GC) bullets from a Lee mold over 20 grains of WC820 (like H110) for 1050 fps. This is a very light load. I cut down the spring an inch and emptied out the buffer to ensure the last round locks open on the magazine follower. I have to carefully inspect the cast bullets to ensure I don't have chambering problems with the light spring/buffer. Accuracy is about 3 moa with the cast bullets, 1.5 moa with Remington 405 grain supersonic loads.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silent Delivery Systems made the very first .458 SOCOM suppressor back in 2001, but they are out of business. I made one integrally suppressed upper in 2002 but that was it for me. The only place I know making .458 SOCOM suppressors is Bowers Group. I would suggest you try them.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coastal Gun builds a can for the 458 SOCOM and it's made from solid aluminum bar stock instead of the typical tube that's threaded on both ends. They bore it and leave one end solid while the other end is threaded to accept an end cap so you can disassemble it. I'm told they build it like that so you can use supersonic ammo and it can still be made of aluminum.
Coastal Gun, Inc.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK ... potentially stupid question ...

If one is shooting the .458 SOCOM at subsonic velocities, might not one be able to use a can like the Octane 45?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
.458" vs. .452"; I suspect baffle strikes might occur unless the Osprey is jailbroken and the baffles reamed out.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think .006" difference in clearance is going to be a problem at all. I think it will be powder charge and pressure. My subsonic 458 socom loads use about 20 grains of H110, my heaviest 45 acp charges are 12 grains of blue dot.

I fairly certain that you will void any warranty on the silencer even if it stays together.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
I don't think .006" difference in clearance is going to be a problem at all. I think it will be powder charge and pressure. My subsonic 458 socom loads use about 20 grains of H110, my heaviest 45 acp charges are 12 grains of blue dot.

I fairly certain that you will void any warranty on the silencer even if it stays together.

Ranb

i do.. .003 diff results in keyholing bullets..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Whaaatt? Are you saying .003 over bullet dia. makes it keyhole? Or...? I think I'm missing something here.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kend:
quote:

Whaaatt? Are you saying .003 over bullet dia. makes it keyhole? Or...? I think I'm missing something here.

yeah.. other way around.. shoot a 308 in a 311.. only a complete idiot would shoot a grossly oversized bullet in the wrong caliber and bore

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:
The only place I know making .458 SOCOM suppressors is Bowers Group.

Shooters Depot in Corpus Christi, Texas makes them. 361-299-1299. Ask for George. Tell him 600 Overkill sent you.

Georges devices are very expensive, but they work extremely well.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kend:
quote:

yeah.. other way around.. shoot a 308 in a 311.. only a complete idiot would shoot a grossly oversized bullet in the wrong caliber and bore

I agree about the idiot part, I have seen it though, idiots are so creative.

So anything more than .003 over bullet diameter will keyhole? Or .003 is the minimum?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I found out the hard way that Not all barrels labeled .308 actually are..003 was the difference.. I have heard .002 in a 22 vs 22mag can also induce keyholing.. And of course insufficient twist....

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat builds a suppressor for the 458 SOCOM.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting fo rmy stamp now. It took a year for my dealer to get it from SBR. Screw up on both party s fault. I wrote the check to batf in August. I am sitting here waiting, and waiting and waiting.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro