Notify
Tools

Clip on Thermals
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use one?

Have any recommendations?

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Anyone use one?

Have any recommendations?

Yes in Romania for wild boar and red deer. It takes a little getting use to but it is impressive.

Need good optics - Swarovski illuminated works great.

Main issue is after shot everything will go dark due to recoil. Someone else needs to have night vision or thermal to spot the animal and see shot reaction.

Good ones are around $5-$6k - I am researching us brands now.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I've not used a thermal front clip-on but have some experience of the Pulsar D75 digital night vision front clip-on.

In terms of picture quality this design was better than the rear clip-ons because it seems that the coatings on the glass of rifle scopes filter our IR before it can get to the detector and the better the scope the more efficient the coatings at filtering out IR... Mad

As I prefer high end German scopes for my hutning rifles, this was a problem.

The front clip on solved those problems ( no way a rear thermal would even work) but I got slight POI shifts, again as a function of the underlying design of putting the imager in front of the scope) which were not acceptable for my sort of shooting (varmints at night, often out some ways).

Whether this will be an issue for you shooting larger animals like hogs, I can't say but if at all possible test the adapter before laying out your cash.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
I've not used a thermal front clip-on but have some experience of the Pulsar D75 digital night vision front clip-on.

In terms of picture quality this design was better than the rear clip-ons because it seems that the coatings on the glass of rifle scopes filter our IR before it can get to the detector and the better the scope the more efficient the coatings at filtering out IR... Mad

The front clip on solved those problems ( no way a rear thermal would even work) but I got slight POI shifts, again as a function of the underlying design of putting the imager in front of the scope) which were not acceptable for my sort of shooting (varmints at night, often out some ways).

Whether this will be an issue for you shooting larger animals like hogs, I can't say but if at all possible test the adapter before laying out your cash.

Why you need night vision not thermal as a clip on to a high end scope.

Ghubs - what varmints are you shooting with your air gun dancing

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

Why you need night vision not thermal as a clip on to a high end scope.

Ghubs - what varmints are you shooting with your air gun dancing

Mike

ERm... I can't really explain in public...

Shoot over your email Wink

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote