Find
Notify
Tools

SAS stainless .308 vs. AAC cyclone
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted

I've had the SAS can for about 2 years now. It was my first NFA purchase. I bought into all the hype on SH and got one of the SAS group buy cans. I finally got to compare it to another .308 can yesterday. I picked up my cyclone about 2 months ago and finally had a chance to do a head to head shoot out. Both cans where shot on a .308 GAP with a 20" badger barrel, 178gr amax, lapua cases and 42gr varget.

Size and Weight: they are really close in weight, I didn't use a scale but they seem very similar, the cyclone felt slightly lighter. The cyclone is about 1/2" longer.

Suppression: with my terrible hearing I couldn't tell from the shooters position, they where really close, I might give the cyclone the edge. I'll need to do some more shooting with bystanders to tell a difference.

Accuracy: I don't shoot for groups anymore except to confirm my zero. I've got steel set up from 100-1k at every 100 yards and had no problems getting to 1K with both cans. However, while adjusting for the cyclone shift I shot some incredibly tiny groups. On this day I would give the accuracy to the cyclone.

If you are looking for a magnum rated steel .308 can I think the SAS is hard to beat. If you want a dedicated precision .308 can the cyclone is probably the way to go.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting your observations. I must agree that the AAC Cyclone would appear to enhance accuracy. That was a claim I had heard prior to having the silencer that I found hard to believe. Now I know it is true.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote