Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with a suppressed .308
 Login/Join

posted
For those of you have done so, what was your experience?

Did you use subsonic ammunition, or standard? If supersonic, did you use light-for-caliber (e.g. 130gr.), standard weight (147gr-165gr.), or 'heavy' bullets (180gr. or heavier)?

If you used subsonic ammunition, at what distance(s) did you make your kills?

Did you notice whether any other animals with the one you took reacted differently (as opposed to an unsuppressed rifle)?

Thanks,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
George I had the opportunity to use a suppressed 308 in England five years ago for stag and muntjac.
The ammunition used was factory/standard weight 163g, supersonic. The suppressor functioned flawlessly even though it is a bit cumbersome in size and weight. The true benefit is to the surrounding countryside and its residents.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Macs.

Did any of the animals near the ones you took react differently due to the diminished rifle report? Did they show less interest than usual?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
George,
I hunted with tactical hog control, and used a 308 .. about a loud as a 22mag or hornet.. NOT quiet ...with federal standard ammo .. subsonic ammo wouldn't function that AR platform, per their statement ...

a subsonic 200/220 in a 308 would likely be my choice if i built the platform myself...

in other words, NOT anything like silent, but also not the instant skatter i would have expected.. of course, at night, which makes them react differently..

compare to hog hunting with an unsupressed 308 .. the animals run more with an unmoderated rifle, in my experience .. i seldom get more than 2 in that situation

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jeffe.

I was wondering if the supersonic crack alone startled animals as much as the report seems to.

I've got my .300 BLK, but I ordered a LH .308 bolt-action and want to hunt with it suppressed...because I can. Big Grin

George

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Too cool. I would do a fast twist and think about Subsonic, but this is your project to enjoy

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

It's a 1-10", but I have 200grs. and 220grs. bullets on hand and will try them out. tu2

George
P.S. The .458 AR is getting its barrel Cerakoted. Wink

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
George, I killed my last buck with my 308 suppressed. I played with subsonics when I first got it but decided I didn't want to sacrifice the range. Plus, it was more a matter of my comfort than stealth.

My standard load is a 150 grain Woodliegh protected point at 2780 feet per second. I didn't see any other animals at the time so no comment on reactions. But I'm pretty sure the buck knew I shot it Wink

I have a 1:8 twist by 28 inches long 300 Weatherby hooked up to the suppressor this year with 200 grain Lapua Mega bullets at about 3000 fps. The noise is practically identical to the 308. Plus recoil is half what it was without the suppressor.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice, Harry. Which suppressor are you running on that .300Wby?

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

I've hunted with a suppressed 300 BLK using 220 SMKs. Is very quiet. Didn't startle them.

Have also hunted with a suppressed, supersonic 6.8. Was some reaction to the shot within the herd ... but they apparently could not determine the source of the sound.

With piggies I was able to shoot more than one in a sounder whereas with an unsuppressed rifle that would not have been likely (though I have done it with a .375 H&H Wink )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark.

I also have a .300 BLK, and as quiet as it is suppressed, I don't think it can fight the wind very well. Hence, my interest in the .308.

Your experience confirms what I've read elsewhere; animals are not as alarmed by the supersonic crack of the bullet as they cannot locate its source, but the report of an unsuppressed firearm spooks them.

George

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
George I can't honestly answer if other game responded differently to the suppressed report of the rifle. We shot a nice stag with three kalb nearby but as expected everyone vacated at the shot except the target. I think the lessened origin noise from a suppressed rifle will have a positive impact on your hunt.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but what are "kalb"? Is that "smartphone" for calves or cows? Big Grin

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with a mod 308win for the last 6years, 180gr bullets. My experience is that the animals nearby will hear and react mostly as "normal". However, it seems they sometimes find it hard to locate the gun, and may even run from the bullet slap towards the gun. At least if they have not seen you first. Small game react even less sometimes.

The sound of the shot does not carry well across terrain, and recoil disappears pretty much

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tusen takk, muntjac.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Nice, Harry. Which suppressor are you running on that .300Wby?

George

Good morning, George. I have an AAC SDN-7.62-6 that I use on 4 different guns at the moment; the 308, an AR15, the Weatherby and a 10/22.

It's rated for full auto fire from an 8 inch 308 so the 300 Weatherby doesn't stress it at all.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice, Harry!

It didn't occur to me to get a full-auto rated suppressor when I bought mine.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They're more heat resistant, less likely to have the tube weaken so they can take higher muzzle pressure without deforming. Aluminum weakens pretty significantly as it heats. The SDN-7.62-6 is stainless and monel. Of course, you pay for it. Non-issue in a caliber-specific can but I was trying to get as close to one size fits all as practical.

posted Hide Post
No Inconel on mine, but everything (tube, baffles, end caps) is stainless steel.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I just went through Lehigh's bullet list and they have a 308 x 148 grain monometal designed expressly for subsonic hunting. I think it's been discussed before on different threads:

Lehigh subsonic

I may have to try a batch.

posted Hide Post
Interesting, but pricey. I bought some Nosler 150gr. E-Tips (Barnes TSX clones) for supersonic loads but will try them at subsonic velocities once I get dies.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
True but these days I only shoot 5-10 rounds at edible big game so cost is relative. If I were going to stick with cup and core bullets at subsonic speeds I'd look hard at 30-30 bullets or even some of the 30 caliber bullets for handgun velocities in the 125-130 grain weight.

posted Hide Post
Harry,

Why do you have to make so much sense? Are you trying to cause a recession in ammunition component manufacturers? jumping

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No, I'm the Emelda Marcos of reloading components! I can't pass up a good sale and have even bought bullets for calibers I don't own (yet). hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
No, I'm the Emelda Marcos of reloading components! I can't pass up a good sale and have even bought bullets for calibers I don't own (yet). hilbily

OK! Let's not quibble. I thought I had that title! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Houston Armory, Stafford, Texas has custom manufactured suppressed ammo. I am going to try their .308 this year.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

There is no information about ammunition on their web site. Would you please post what types of subsonic .308 they offer when get a chance?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
George,
I hunted with tactical hog control, and used a 308 .. about a loud as a 22mag or hornet.. NOT quiet ...with federal standard ammo .. subsonic ammo wouldn't function that AR platform, per their statement ...

a subsonic 200/220 in a 308 would likely be my choice if i built the platform myself...

in other words, NOT anything like silent, but also not the instant skatter i would have expected.. of course, at night, which makes them react differently..

compare to hog hunting with an unsupressed 308 .. the animals run more with an unmoderated rifle, in my experience .. i seldom get more than 2 in that situation

+1 I was on that hunt.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HERE IS A LINK TO A HUNT REPORT AT 300 BLK OUT iT ADDRESSES THE QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ASKED.

http://www.300blktalk.com/foru...ic.php?f=145&t=86463

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

posted Hide Post
JD,

I have a .300 BLK already, but want something with greater range, too.

George

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
George,

+1 I was on that hunt.

I was back on the Glick Ranch for Thanksgiving and backed up a lady shooting her first big game (a Fallow)with my 300 Weatherby and the SDN 7.62-6. She nailed it but later we chanced upon some hogs and I had to finish one with the Weatherby. Of 7 people in and out of the vehicle, only 4 noticed that I shot. It wasn't quiet by any means but enough so that 3 people distracted by conversation didn't register the shot. This was the first time I shot the package at game in the presence of others who were not focused on listening to a silencer to see how one performed. The load was a 200 gr Lapua Mega at a chronographed 3000 fps, not subsonic by any reach of imagination.

I think the lesson for me is that the nature of the report counts for more than the absolute decibels. At this point I'm pretty disinterested in pursuing subsonic loads and living with their limitations until a specific need drives it...(ZOMBIES!!!) Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

You must be thinking abt running the 308 supersonic if you're looking for better range (that is a better trajectory). Velocity after all is what will cure the trajectory issue.

I have 16" Rem SPS and 22" Savage that are threaded that I use with an SAS Ti Arbiter can. Both are 1:10 twist and are happiest with ammo in the 175 gr range. Both are not quiet as the supersonic shock wave isn't quiet.

Just as with the supersonic 6.8 game does seem to be confused about the origin of the sound. They do react to the sound but seem to search for its origin.

Unless you're looking for a very significant increase in range, you might consider running 125 gr NBTs in the 300 BLK. You should be able to get 1900 fps or more with it. The NBT is not nearly so explosive at that velocity.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

I will most likely end up using supersonic loads for hunting at longer ranges, and save the subsonic loads for close-range (hogs, called-in coyotes).

George

posted Hide Post
Mike,

I was looking for something to use on antelope in Wyoming.

The areas I've hunted there are windy and called for shots of 300yds. or more; I just don't think the .300 BLK with 125gr. or 130gr. bullets can shoot flat enough and buck the wind well enough to work.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Yup ... I think you're right.

My experience at range has been with SMKs. 1:10 twist seems to favor bullets in the 175 gr range whereas 1:12 seems to work fine with 168s.

The military likes the 175s because they fly further before going trans sonic where they begin to be less stable ... thus increasing the reach of the sniper.

Not a major concern for you at 300-400 yards.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
look into the 260 rem, it should work well with your can.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

posted Hide Post
JD,

I already have the .308 Win. with a threaded barrel.

George

One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
I have used my suppressed .308 on several hogs and deer. I decided to use normal loads and don't regret it. The noise level is still much lower than normal. I shoot 165grn gamekings then switch to 168grn matchkings if need be. Perfect combo.

Posts: 44 | Location: League city, TX | Registered: 21 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What can you expect with subsonic bullets ( 308) to comfy kill zone?
Is 100 yards too far?
What is reasonable distance expectations?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
What can you expect with subsonic bullets ( 308) to comfy kill zone?
Is 100 yards too far?
What is reasonable distance expectations?

Match your cartride/bullet/gun combination to wind conditions, game being hunted, etc. Wind and time-of-flight are big factors in wind drift.

From a stand or blind, I'd stick to 100yds-150yds. s maximum using subsonics; the trajectory is too rainbow-like. If there is wind >15mph, I'd keep it under 100yds.

If I were hunting in a timber thicket or south Texas brush with a suppressed .458 SOCOM, 50yds. would be a long shot.

George