THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    WA silencer use bill Senate hearing. (Update. Passed by Senate)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WA silencer use bill Senate hearing. (Update. Passed by Senate)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Judiciary
1/26/11 1:30 pm
Senate Full Committee
Senate Hearing Rm 1
J.A. Cherberg Building
Olympia, WA

Public Hearing:
1.SB 5112 - Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors.
2.SB 5115 - Concerning private transfer fee obligations. (Hearing is on the Proposed Substitute.)
3.SB 5170 - Increasing the number of judges to be elected in Grant county.

Everyone needs to be at this hearing, especially industry representatives, silencer owners and people who want to use silencers.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
House bill 1016 passed a vote on the House floor.

quote:
HB 1016
Firearm noise suppressors
House vote on Final Passage
2/7/2011

Yeas: 88 Nays: 4 Absent: 0 Excused: 6

Voting Yea: Representatives Ahern, Alexander, Angel, Armstrong, Asay, Bailey, Billig, Blake, Buys, Carlyle, Chandler, Clibborn, Cody, Condotta, Crouse, Dahlquist, Dammeier, DeBolt, Dickerson, Dunshee, Fagan, Finn, Fitzgibbon, Frockt, Goodman, Green, Haigh, Haler, Hargrove, Harris, Hasegawa, Hinkle, Hope, Hunt, Hurst, Jacks, Jinkins, Johnson, Kagi, Kelley, Kenney, Kirby, Klippert, Kretz, Kristiansen, Ladenburg, Liias, Lytton, Maxwell, McCoy, McCune, Miloscia, Moeller, Morris, Moscoso, Nealey, Orcutt, Ormsby, Orwall, Overstreet, Parker, Pearson, Pedersen, Pettigrew, Probst, Reykdal, Rivers, Roberts, Rolfes, Ross, Ryu, Santos, Seaquist, Sells, Shea, Schmick, Short, Stanford, Sullivan, Takko, Taylor, Tharinger, Van De Wege, Walsh, Warnick, Wilcox, Zeiger, and Mr. Speaker
Voting Nay: Representatives Darneille, Hudgins, Hunter, and Springer
Absent:
Excused: Representatives Anderson, Appleton, Eddy, Rodne, Smith, and Upthegrove

I am not sure, but maybe Senate bill 5112 is not making progress because House bill 1016 will go to it for a vote. The list of bills getting an executive hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee is out, and bill 5112 is not on it.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill 5112 was heard by the Senate Judiciary Executive Committee this morning. There was no debate. The decision was a unanimous "do pass" recommendation. It goes to the Rules Committee next.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of our friends on the Subguns board says he got a message from Joe Waldron (WA Arms Collectors) saying that the Senate vote will not be the landslide it was in the House. He thinks the vote will be next week. Link to Subguns thread. http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=748692

All it takes is an e-mail to remind them. Find your Senator here; http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

List of Senator e-mail addresses here; https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberE...fault.aspx?Chamber=S Even if you wrote them last month, it is a good idea to write to them again. We have the whole weekend to write to every one of these people. This is the best chance we'll ever have to change the law, so let's not blow it. Smiler

Write up a nice short e-mail telling them why you feel they should vote yes on bill 5112 and send it to as many as you can. You can remind them that no one showed in Olympia during the Judiciary hearings to oppose the bills, that there is very little crime associated with suppressors and the police want this bill to pass.

The Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs (WACOPS) sent a representative to both Judiciary hearings and enthusiastically supported the bills. The police need this bill passed as the law currently forbids suppressor use by the police and military in WA State. Here is a link to their letter supporting the bill. http://s171.photobucket.com/al...ent=WACOPSletter.jpg

Cease Fire Washington is taking a neutral stance on the silencer use bill. Unfortunately I was not able to get this in writing from them. You can ask them to contact Michael Wolfe if they want his opinion on the issue.

Better that you send your e-mails to each Senator individually. Put all of the Senators on one e-mail and it might head for their spam directory instead of the in-box. Thanks.

Randy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill 5112 (allow silencer use) is stuck in committee and going to die unless it is pulled from the Rules committee for a third reading (vote on the Senate floor) by March 7th. I cannot emphasis enough the importance that all WA residents interested in silencer use must call their Senator and members of the Rules committee on the phone to urge them to pull bill 5112 from the calendar for a third reading.

Rules committee members http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committ...bersStaff.aspx

The last Rules committee hearing consisted of a “package pull” of bills that had no opposition and were expected to pass with little or no debate. I do not know why Bill 5112 was not included in the package pull since it had no opposition in the Senate Judiciary hearing, was not debated at all at the Judiciary executive hearing and was unanimously sent along with a do pass recommendation. I am not aware of any opposition to the bill 5112, and only 4 Representatives voted against the companion bill in the House. One of the Senate aides I spoke to said there was some opposition to the bill, but she would not be specific.

The price of a dozen two minute long distance phone calls is a small one to pay to enjoy the use of silencers in WA. We have until March 7th to get bill 5112 a vote on the Senate floor. If you can, call as many of the Rules committee members as you can. The most important ones to call are the chairman, vice-chairman and the Democrats.

One of their aides will answer the phone when you call, not the Senator. When I call, I tell them my name and city/state and that I am calling to express my support of bill 5112. The aide will probably suggest that you contact your Senator and the bill sponsors, but tell them you have already done so and want to know why bill 5112 has not been pulled from the calendar any sent to the floor for a vote. Ask them if their Senator intends to allow to pull the bill from the calendar and send it to the floor. If they do not say yes, press them for a reason why. Ask them who is opposed to the bill and why. End your conversation with a request that they pass along your concerns to the Senator.

Chances are you will have to leave a message if you call the chairman (the Lt Gov) or vice chairman. If you are not able to get through to the vice-chairman, keep calling until you do. Some of the aides will be in a rush to finish the call, others will want to talk. The Republicans will probably blame the Democrats for holding things up. If they do, ask them what they will do to help pull the bill from the calendar. Good luck and keep dialing.

Randy

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.tvw.org/media/media...OKEN=50085630&bhcp=1 Bill 1016 was referred out of committee with a "do pass" recommendation. Next stop is the Rules committee. http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/C...es/MembersStaff.aspx Call and write them often. Start with with Democrats as they have the most influance over which bills to pull. Brown is a good one to call. Shoesler was a bill 5112 sponsor, so he is a good one to bother also.

Ranb

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good news!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill 1016 passed the Senate this morning. Smiler

Next the Governor signs it or allows it to become law without her signature. She is very unlikely to veto is as is passed 88-4 and 47-0 and is therefore "veto proof". If she does veto it, then it goes back to the legislature for an over ride of the veto.

The law goes into effect 90 days after the session ends. The last day of the session is April 24, so we can use our silencers legally Saturday July 23, 2011.

Ranb

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
AWESOME -- great work

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The governor signed the bill this afternoon. The new law goes into effect on July 23rd.

Ranb