THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    260-300 blk -458 socom switch barrel rig waiting for their can's. update 7-19

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

260-300 blk -458 socom switch barrel rig waiting for their can's. update 7-19
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The parts made it in.- XLR chassis, one 20 inch 260 barrel, two 16" barrels threaded both ends a 458 socom 14 twist and a 300 blk 8 twist, 308 AI mag , 223 AI mag , 308 bolt, and a 223 ptg bolt both with sako extractors. 20 Mao rail

I had to open up the recoil lug area of the XLR stock for the thicker tubbs lug,and make a slot in the hand guard to allow the hand guard to slide off straight.

Minor tuning of the magazines to get them to feed 100 %. The 223 is plastic , I had to use a file to widen the lips just a little, I was getting a occasional bolt over ride. The 308 box is metal and I had to bend the lips up just a little, I needed to get the rounds a little higher due to the rebated rim of the socom.

The 223 PTG bolt with a sako extractor ejects both loaded and fired round perfect. I had trimmed the ejector spring in the 260 bolt when I was shooting matches ( did not want to dent those case mouths), so it would not eject for the socom . I think I will be OK once I get some new parts.

To change barrel

all I need to do is loosen six Allen head bolts, slide the hand guard off, unscrew the barrel , reinstall the other barrel, slip the hand guard on and tighten the 6 Allen head bolts. Slip in the correct bolt and magazine. Each barrel will have it's own optic in quick release rings .

The 300 will be my real quite shoot them in the head garden gun, the 458 socom will be the bust them hard at any angle I choose. I am waiting for a SAS ti arbitrator for the 300 and and a SBR can for the 458 socom. I am told that the 458 will quite down quite a bit, but do not expect it to be as quite as the blk out.

I will glue in the recoil lug and glass bed the action today, Once i am happy with everything I will epoxy the action in place. I will try to post some photo's soon.

Also building a 16" socom on a rugar 77 tang safety in a MPI A2 stock Photo's to be added later.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

posted Hide Post
Nice work!

You've got a lot of bases covered with those three chamberings.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks George It s taken a year to get it together. It will be end of the year before I see thee cans.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to the range and shot the 300 blk barrel.

The shot high at 12:30 was a bore sighter. I dialed down 6 moa and left 1 moa. 2nd shot center of bull. Dialed up 1 moa and useing the bullet hole center bull as a aiming point I shot the next 4 through the little group and let the wind take the 5 one away.

It was blowing about 10 to 15 mph from all over the clock.

When changing out the ejector , I broke the handle off the bolt so I did not test the 260 or 458 socom. I should get to it next week.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

posted Hide Post
Nice group; was a subsonic or supersonic load?

quote:
Originally posted by J D:
When changing out the ejector , I broke the handle off the bolt so I did not test the 260 or 458 socom. I should get to it next week.

JD

Remington 700, I take it?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Remington 700, I take it?

George

LMAO

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya it's a rem 700, and I know better than to tap the bolt. The pin holding the ejector sliped out half way and tied up the bolt.

I thought it was a improperly sizes case that got stuck, so i gave the handle a little tap.

Jeff should I weld or braze it back on or just go back with a hard solder ( I can do it but not spell it)

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

posted Hide Post
J D,

How about a fix like this?

George

posted Hide Post
J D , Great work.

Posts: 3 | Location: oregon | Registered: 29 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave kiff:
J D , Great work.

Thank you Dave, it's been a fun project. I need to get my 308 bolt fixed to try out the 458 and 260.

It's going to be fun to see how close the barrels shoot to each other and how repeatable things will be with change a out.

If the barrel are repeatable and shoot back to the same point of aim but not close to the other barrels, than a specific optic for each barrel would be worth haveing.

If all the barrel shoot close to same point and are repeatable. one optic will be enough and I can dial in from a given base line.

The more I shoot that xlr chassis the more I like it.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 458 socom today, fifty yard groups were clusters, No scope adjustment need, it shot to the first mildot above the cross hairs. I sure hope that is repeatable.

One problen , after 2o round , It would not fire at the trigger pull, you would hear a click and the striker would move a little forward, then hang up, that is until you lifted the bolt handle then it would fire. I am going to have to think about this one.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

posted Hide Post
Strictly a WAG, here - maybe a pin moved under recoil, torqueing the trigger geometry.

George