Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Advice on NV Purchase!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Fellas,

I am doing allot of Goggling now but I would appreciate hearing any advice/experience that you have for my 1st NV purchase.

I definitely want to go with a Gen3, and I THINK I want a monocular. I will primarily use it to just view wildlife...walk around with the NV and enjoy the nightlife. I would probably at some point get an IR Laser for my Glock and AR-15 to mess around shooting in the dark.

I have used NV Gen3 Goggles in the past when I was a SWAT cop but that was 15 years ago and I transferred shortly after that so I don't remember much about the goggles other than it was incredible!

Do I want monocular....with head-strap/helmet?

Goggles, gated, non-gated, WP, etc??? Its confusing! Used, New?

Where would you buy?

I would love to hear your comments!!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
What's your budget?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
You can find pvs14s used in that range. The 14 is light but your depth perception is bad. A pvs 7 can be had in that price range as well, it is heavier but even though it's a single tube unit, it seems depth perception is not as bad as the 14 since your viewing the image with both eyes. To get a dual tube rig it's gonna cost you unless you get lucky. I recently saw an anvis 9 complete setup minus tubes sell for $1200 on ar15.com night vision classifieds. Someone snapped them up before I could jump on them. I have bought 2 used omni 4 tubes for $400 each about a year ago and put them in a pvs15 housing. They turned out to be very good quality. My pick would be the pvs 7 to start out. Then keep reading,researchimg and watching the various classifieds for the deals. Tube installation is not rocket science so if you see a deal on housings or tubes, grab them. Also, try to get with folks who have NVG'S so you can try them out first hand.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
You can find pvs14s used in that range. The 14 is light but your depth perception is bad. A pvs 7 can be had in that price range as well, it is heavier but even though it's a single tube unit, it seems depth perception is not as bad as the 14 since your viewing the image with both eyes. To get a dual tube rig it's gonna cost you unless you get lucky. I recently saw an anvis 9 complete setup minus tubes sell for $1200 on ar15.com night vision classifieds. Someone snapped them up before I could jump on them. I have bought 2 used omni 4 tubes for $400 each about a year ago and put them in a pvs15 housing. They turned out to be very good quality. My pick would be the pvs 7 to start out. Then keep reading,researchimg and watching the various classifieds for the deals. Tube installation is not rocket science so if you see a deal on housings or tubes, grab them. Also, try to get with folks who have NVG'S so you can try them out first hand.

It's amazing the amount of knowledge that one can get here on AR!

Thanks for your time and effort, Miss!

I am going to do as you suggest and look for a used set of Gen 3 PVS14's.

Maybe I'll get lucky!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
The down side to buying used is..... well the chance of getting a dud with no warranty. Try to stick with sellers with good feedback. I'll keep my eyes open. I would recommend the 7 over the 14 but that's my preference. I've used each for several thousand hours. I swapped to dual tube about 5 years ago with an anvis 9. Great units but a tad on the fragile side. Went to sentinals, pvs 15's to BNVD 3s to finally pvs 31's for the last year.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
ITT PVS14 Gen III pinnacle - AR15.COM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7...en_III_pinnacle.html

Offer him 2k, maybe you'll get lucky, lol

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Yukon
My friends in Europe swear by them
I think you can buy them in US

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote