Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel diameter for a suppressor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,
Still need a little guidance. Can a suppressor be installed on barrel with a diameter less than .75" ? I would thing that there are a lot of guns out there with suppressors that have a medium or slightly less than medium profile.

Thanks!

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what caliber?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.280 Rem and .300 Win Mag

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some folks consider .100" to .120" thickness at the muzzle (measured from the groove) to be sufficient, since pressures drop way down by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle.

So, .750" barrel diameter at the muzzle minus .308" leaves .221" (.442" divided by two); on the .280, it would leave .233" (.466" divided by two).

You should be safe to thread those two barrels.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THanks.
When I take my suppressor and gun to a gunsmith, obviously I check to see if he has done this before - but, is there someone or somewhere that specializes in mounting suppressors?
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any "gunsmith" should be able to do this easily.....just gotta be straight.

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The gunsmith has nothing to do with the suppressor per se .

His job is to ensure that the threads are cut concentric to the bore and ensure that the shoulder is square (so that when you screw the suppressor onto the barrel, it seats flush). He should check the muzzle for flaws while he's at it.

The .300 should get 5/8-24 threads, as should your .280 barrel can support them.

I recommend a direct-connect suppressor, so you don't have to buy expensive and proprietary adapters.

SSK Industries (Steubenville, OH) and Adco Firearms (Sylvania, OH) do proper threading jobs. I'm sure Tip Burns (Dallas, TX) can do it.

Also, check with Black Mesa Rifle Company in Boise, OK - (806)437-0747.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote