THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    Texas Parks and Wildlife Approve the use of Suppressors

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Parks and Wildlife Approve the use of Suppressors
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
We can use suppressors while hunting "Game" animals.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, gentlemen!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
when you coming down, George?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to do so after my Form 4 was approved, but that may not happen before August.

All I need is a date and enough time to book an affordable flight. I'll sight in the Digisight on my .300BLK and come down. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its a bit hot then... should be down to the low 90s around 2am ...

but lets plan something then

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
...low 90s around 2am ...

I know the ticks and fleas are still awake, but are the chiggers asleep by then? Big Grin

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,chiggers never sleep,they just give grief in cadence. Please,a bit more info as to the suppressor use + legality here.Thanks,R.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From the Texas Parks & Wildlife website. . .
"The Commission also adopted rules permitting the use of firearm silencers for the take of alligators, game animals or game birds.

“These devices are already legal for hunting exotic animals, including feral hogs, and there is no resource- or enforcement-related reason to prohibit these devices for hunting alligators, game animals or game birds,” said Scott Vaca, TPWD Assistant Chief of Wildlife Enforcement.

The regulation change does not relieve any person of the obligation to comply with applicable federal, state, or local law governing the possession or use of firearm silencers. Firearms silencers are regulated under the National Firearms Act. They are legal for individuals to possess and use for lawful purposes in 39 states, including Texas. However, a prospective user must go through an application process administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which requires a Federal tax payment of $200 and a thorough criminal background check.. . ."

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty,If I were an (old fart)which I am,I recall the line of {"Ain't that just like the government,dirtying water that was clean before....so now no one can drink.)

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a business opportunity for a can maker.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, great news! Thanks for the update.

I don't currently have any suppressed weapons but with the ability to use them for game as well as hogs, I'm going to look into it more seriously. Any recs for makers for a .22 and maybe a .308 or .44mag?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, not a whole lot to tell... just figure out which rifle you want to use a suppressor on, pay the $200 registration fee, and be done with it. The real issue is that if the load is supersonic, you really haven't gained a whole lot. It is still going to make noise...

If I ever get back to TX permanently where I have a chance to work on the hog problem, I plan on working up a sub-sonic load in an NEF, using heavy for caliber cast projectiles. I think if you are quiet enough and a good enough shot, sticking a heavy 30-caliber cast bullet in a pig's ear at about 60 yards should be really effective. They make enough noise anyway it really shouldn't be a challenge to kill the whole sounder.

Now, having said that, skinning and butchering a whole wad of dead pigs is a completely different subject...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even when using supersonic ammo there is a world of diffference between suppressed and unsuppressed hunting rifles. I think a silencer is well worth it.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even when using supersonic ammo there is a world of diffference between suppressed and unsuppressed hunting rifles. I think a silencer is well worth it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but there is a world of difference between a "suppressor" and a "silencer". I have had the privilege of shooting a suppressed 9mm, and I can tell you for a fact that supersonic 9mm ammunition pops. Period. A LOT louder than you might wish to believe.

And there is a reason that the folks with the suppressed FN Patrol Bolt 308s are shooting subsonic loads, utilizing Trail Boss...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could you tell me what the world of difference is? You could start by defining each term.

Silencer (along with muffler) is a legal term in the USA and is used to identify any device that reduces the report (by any amount) of a portable firearm. I am not aware of any legal definition or industry standard definition for the word suppressor.

I know exactly what subsonic and supersonic ammo in 9mm, 45 acp, 308win, 223rem, 300 whisper, 458 socom, 510 whisper, 50bmg and other cartridges sound like as I load and shoot them.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless,do you have any loading data using Trail Boss in .308?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here a link to some Trail Boss Data.
Trail Boss Reduced loads

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty.