THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    Why are silencers so expensive in America and so cheap every where else?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are silencers so expensive in America and so cheap every where else?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
A quick cursory glance through foreign gunsmiths in Europe and New Zealand leaves a price of about $180-300 for a silencer.

The average American rifle silencer is somewhere between $750 and 1250.

Why are we getting the shaft?

The thing has no moving parts, and is made of materials that aren't $1000 per pound so why do we get screwed?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Because of all the government regulations that must be complied with by the manufacturer and all the licenses and fees they must pay.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

I am glad things are moving forward in making it a non NFA item.

Hopefully that happens.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Also there is the good old supply and demand aspect. In countries like Finland hunters are more than encouraged to use suppressors on their rifles. It is a public health (hearing) issue. In France virtually anyone in town has a suppressor for their .22 rim fire so they can shoot pigeons without disturbing the neighbors. When I was last in Paris the gun shops have them in blister packs on the rack.

Here we are just behind the rest of the world.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because of all the government regulations that must be complied with by the manufacturer and all the licenses and fees they must pay.

And that's why they are more expensive than many firearms??? HUH?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It was interesting to watch the NRA sponsored show on the history of suppressors. If I recall, the inventor moved on to create auto mufflers because the $200 tax stamp and regulations drove him out of that business.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What GeorgeS said, plus one!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Peter.

I am with you on this, I think we are being taken for fools.

posted Hide Post
Look at the costs of the licenses and taxes for being a manufacturer of NFA items compared to a manufacturer of 'regular' arms.

If those weren't required, suppressor costs would come down. Also, other outfits would enter the market and drive prices down further.

You could always make your own suppressors on a Form 1 for the cost of the $200 tax and materials.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another example..... For me to buy a particular suppressor from an out of state dealer he has to send a Form 3 to the BATFE and get it approved just to be able to transfer the suppressor to my instate dealer. Once it is approved, then he can ship it to my local dealer so I can then send in the actual paper work to be able to take it home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You could always make your own suppressors on a Form 1 for the cost of the $200 tax and materials.

George

Didn't know that! Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
The thing has no moving parts, and is made of materials that aren't $1000 per pound so why do we get screwed?

With the $200 tax, 1-4 month wait and no end user replacement of parts, the buyer wants a durable silencer that lasts years and thousands of rounds instead of a cheap unit they can replace every 1000 rounds or so. This drives prices up.

Do you part and urge your Congressperson to take silencers off the NFA registry.

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Won't ever happen. You would not need as many BATFE agents/employees....you ever see an ABC agency get SMALLER? Forget about it and move on with your life.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Peter.

It's matter of volume. Far fewer units produced and sold per regulatory dollar of cost than most firearms. Even military contracts are fractions of civilian arms sales.

Also a matter of design. An aluminum/steel can for a 22LR is orders of magnitude cheaper than my Inconel and stainless 30 caliber rated for full auto 7.62 x 51 (from an 8 inch barrel no less). I got it so I could shoot 300 Weatherbies until I melted the barrel and not need to go through the crap again to replace a worn suppressor.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote