THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    Night vision or thermal? Cost not an issue

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night vision or thermal? Cost not an issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you like - night vision or thermal assuming cost is not an issue?

Posts: 10171 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're just shooting pigs and varmints go thermal, if you need to positively ID target , get NV

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with night vision is dated and limited to more primitive versions - but I can’t envision a scenario where night vision would be preferable to thermal.

Seeing animals at night with a thermal is a surreal experience. You can detect animals from hundreds of yards away that you probably wouldn’t notice with night vision - it’s like they are painted with luminous paint. The “glow” draws your eye - not just movement, more like a flashlight moving. I see mice scurrying at night at ranges and in vegetation that I would miss them in daylight.

As mentioned in another response, you need to positively identify your target - as sometimes the outline of a hog may resemble a raccoon or deer or something else. But if you take your time, experience quickly teaches you what to look for.

Thermals make distance estimation difficult (is that a small hog at 20 yards or a big hog at 80???) - but newer versions have built-in rangefinders. Thermals also provide details that help in target selection- as boar bits or sow teats are easily visible at reasonable ranges.

No matter what you end up with, hunting at night is really fun and effective. Read first-hand reviews on individual models. Consult your state regs and enjoy!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
My experience with night vision is dated and limited to more primitive versions - but I can’t envision a scenario where night vision would be preferable to thermal.

Seeing animals at night with a thermal is a surreal experience. You can detect animals from hundreds of yards away that you probably wouldn’t notice with night vision - it’s like they are painted with luminous paint. The “glow” draws your eye - not just movement, more like a flashlight moving. I see mice scurrying at night at ranges and in vegetation that I would miss them in daylight.

As mentioned in another response, you need to positively identify your target - as sometimes the outline of a hog may resemble a raccoon or deer or something else. But if you take your time, experience quickly teaches you what to look for.

Thermals make distance estimation difficult (is that a small hog at 20 yards or a big hog at 80???) - but newer versions have built-in rangefinders. Thermals also provide details that help in target selection- as boar bits or sow teats are easily visible at reasonable ranges.

No matter what you end up with, hunting at night is really fun and effective. Read first-hand reviews on individual models. Consult your state regs and enjoy!

Dave

I've play extensively with both and I concur, there's NOTHING like a quality thermal product. We use thermal spotter/scanners and thermal rifle scopes and they're nothing short of wonderful.
But of course the new scope I want is $18,000.00 so I'll just suffer by with my old yet decent one.

Zeke