Find
Notify
Tools

Herters proprietory cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Anyone ever see the proprietory calibres made by Herters back in the 50's and 60's ?

There was a .247 Missile Magnum , a .247 Ram Magnum, a .270 Ram Magnum and a 300 Ram Magnum. All bar the first had a belted case that appears to be based on the Weatherby belted case, but the belted case variant had a double shouldered neck - double 30 degrees, to create a turbulence in the cartridge shoulder that concentrates the force of the gas on the rear of the bullet for a longer period of time , giving more velocity than the same components in a single necked case .
Well , so states the 1963 Herters Professional Loading and Reloading Manual . It also states that components , dies and reamer will be available soon - so does that mean that these calibres never made it into production ?
I would be interested to know if the cartridges really exist outside of the development phase , and if anyone has examples ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muzza

Interesting question and I look forward to any answers you will get. Being a collector of wildcats, and a shooter who was around during Herter's heyday, I can say that I've never seen any of them. The only Herter's cartridge I have seen is the 401 Powermag which you will find in most collections. My guess is that the cartridges were never put into production and sold as proprietary and any that you might encounter would be wildcats put together by individual shooters. Herters did have brass in different calibers with their own headstamp but all that I have seen were standard calibers. Their value would only be for "headstamp" collectors, of which there are a lot. Of course, I've been wrong before and I hope that I am wrong here and that somebody will come up with some genuine cartridges. I'll be one of the first in line to buy them for my collection.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You are right about the .401 Powermag , you find them everywhere ( figuratively ) . You will need to be second in the queue for any of the double-necked cases that turn up ...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be one of the first in line to buy them for my collection.Ray

Muzza

You beat me to it. I was going to edit my post to say, "second in line".

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote