Find
Notify
Tools

Information, please!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
On two recent episodes from 'the History Channel' reference was made to guns I would like to know more about plus see examples of the cartdges for each. Firstly, the WWII 'Mosquito' aircraft carried a nose mounted cannon designated as a "six pounder" - what are we speaking of re bore diameter, etc.? And the US calvary involved in the Battle (Massacre??" at Little Big Horn used a form of breech-loading cannon from Hotchkiss - again, what info can we find on this weapon? Surely it must have fired some sort of fixed ammo but seems strange I had never heard any reference made to it before?
Thanks in advance for all info!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Tony Williams site http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/
And peruse the ammo data tables/photos. "6 pounder" refers to the weight of the projectle, it made sense with roundballs, but got confusing with elongated projectles. I'm guessing 30-40mm bore diameter range.
He may have some information on the Hotchkiss cannon ammo used at LBH on there also.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Quite correct - found the '6 pdr' to be the Molins gun re:
"The RAF then became interested in fitting the Molins Gun in the de Havilland Mosquito, to form an airborne anti-tank weapon to replace the Hurricane IID which had been equipped with a pair of Vickers 40mm Class S guns. The aircraft was duly developed as the Mosquito FB Mk XVIII, popularly known as the "Tsetse", but by this time the RAF had lost interest in the anti-tank gun role so the aircraft were brought into service by Coastal Command for anti-ship (and specifically anti-U-boat) purposes. The Tsetse, of which about thirty were built, served with No.248 Squadron during 1944 and is credited with sinking a U-boat. Perhaps its most remarkable achievement occurred during an anti-shipping strike, when one Tsetse became involved in a melee with defending Luftwaffe aircraft. A Junkers 88 was careless enough to fly in front of a Tsetse, which promptly fired its big gun and demolished the Ju 88 with one shot!"
Have alos learned from another site the Hotchkiss was the 1.65" moutain gun - also used in Cuba by the US during around the turn of the century.
Many thanks for the prompt.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote