New
Find
Notify
Tools

60 Caliber machinegun ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any collector interest in 60 caliber machinegun ammo?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. whatcha got???

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, no interest at all. Just send it to me (pre-paid shipping) for proper disposal (Ray, I'll let you help me "dispose" of it)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
14.5 x 114? Hell yeah. Brass or steel case? Live or dummy?

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LDO
That's the Russian round.
I think of the US 15.3x114 HMG when someone says 60cal MG.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
LDO
That's the Russian round.
I think of the US 15.3x114 HMG when someone says 60cal MG.

a.k.a. 16mm Vega? I have one of those. Smiler

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not the Vega either

50 BMG (12.7x99), 12.7x108, 14.5mm x 114, 60 HMG (15.3x114), 20x102

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow. For several years I thought I had a 16mm Vega round. Now I find out it's a .60cal MG round. Still cool, though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I found several cases head stamped 1943 that measures the same as the 50bmg except the inside neck measured .608. These cases were found many decades ago in an eod dumpster on a militiary base. Could this also be a .60bmg? Just wondering and like my name...lost.

Posts: 25 | Location: nc | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LC1
I've taken the liberty of cross posting your question to another forum, and will transfer their replies back to this one.

There were some experimental 60's that used 50 bmg cases, for bullet testing, but that program simply cut off the case on the shoulder and inserted the bullets by hand (literally)

Do you still have any, and can you post a photo (preferably with a 50 bmg case for scale)

Edit: OK, I've received 2 possible answers, based on the information you've given

Tony Williams Location: UK
Two quick off-the-cuff options: 1. 16mm Vega - if the rim has been turned down a bit. 2. There was an experimental 15mm spotter based on the .50 case. It was postwar (mine is headstamped 1960) but some use might have been made of older cases

Taber10
I don't know, and couldn't guess, without pictures, etc. But, there are (were?) EOD tools that could have used .50 BMG rounds, and the fired cases would have ended up with larger case necks/mouths since the tools were not manufactured to have an accurate chamber measurements like in a rifle, MG, etc. Evidence of this use, for normal percussion primed rounds would include some damage to the primer NOT indicative of a normal firing pin strike, or a hole in the primer resulting from the path of electric wires in electric primed .50 cal rounds.
Just a thought