Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need you help
 Login/Join

posted
I have a old breach loading cannon that was given to me, barrel about 4 feet long, breach block area is about 10 inches square, has wooden wheels about 20 inches tall, outside of muzzle is about 21/2 inches, bore looks to be about 11/4 inches, i cant get better measurement because it is coverd up with junk and is in a old barn that has rattlesnakes in it.
I have looked all over the net for a small breach loading cannon like this, with no luck, anyone have any idea what caliber this would be, the lady who gave it to me said it was used in the indian wars, im not sure when they went to a breach loader cannon, i hope to get some pictures as soon and i can clean the barn out, thanks for any help, Bubba.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look up the Hotchkiss guns at a guess those in the 37mm range.

One quick Google example

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner

Thanks for the reply, the one i have has smaller wheels, barley come above the barrel, and it has a square breach block not a twist lock like this one, ill keep looking there has to be some info out there some place, im going to look through my movies, i have seen one like it before in a movie where the army was attacking the indians, thanks again, Bubba.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When your looking, remember that they often used different mounts/carriages with the same gun, depending on the useage/emplacement IE a navel, cavilary or fortress carriage might well be placed under the same gun.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote