THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Preparing For The Unknown    "FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"....Canned RED SALMON Test for quality
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"....Canned RED SALMON Test for quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Ever needed any of that food you've cached through the years? If you have, what caused you to need it? If you haven't, isn't it a continuing pointless endeavor? I'm really curious why someone does this.

I am "Anomalous"

Anomalous | Definition of Anomalous by Merriam-Webster
Definition of anomalous. 1 : inconsistent with or deviating from what is usual, normal, or expected.

This is the exact opposite of "NORMALCY BIAS".

Normalcy bias - Wikipedia
Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a cognitive bias which leads people to disbelieve or minimize threat warnings. Consequently, individuals underestimate the likelihood of a disaster, when it might affect them, and its potential adverse effects. The normalcy bias causes many people to not adequately prepare for natural disasters, market crashes, and calamities

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 311 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can identify with the former.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever needed any of that food you've cached through the years? If you have, what caused you to need it? If you haven't, isn't it a continuing pointless endeavor? I'm really curious why someone does this.

Me too. If you live in the bush I do not see the point? In a SHTF situation I don't picture hungry hordes of unskilled urban people bum rushing the Alaskan wilderness to eat someone's tinned salmon.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:

Me too. If you live in the bush I do not see the point? In a SHTF situation I don't picture hungry hordes of unskilled urban people bum rushing the Alaskan wilderness to eat someone's tinned salmon.

OK.....so set that aside. Now lets look at the availabity of "STORE" bought food, and the storage of that "STORE" bought food, in a SHTF environment.....of unknown duration.

a.) which of the following is the "More" better choice...?? Two weeks of food, two months of food, two years or more of food.....On hand and under the control of the prepper/owner of that food.....???

b.) Should the prepper/owner of a chosen amount of food, store 100% of that food in his home or cabin, or would it be more prudent to keep 30 or 60 days of food in their home or cabin.....??? And have the balance in a refrigerated and dry storage, where it can't freeze, or be found by anyone other the the prepper/owner of that food.

c.) If we consider that something "Might" happen to the Prepper/owner's home or cabin. and it is lost, and it's contents are lost, now the prepper/owner is a homeless refugee with no food/water/shelter/clothing/tools/ammo/etc..

d.) Is this a possibility.......ask those in California and other west coast states where entire cities and towns have been totally burned to ash in wild forest fires. Or those who's homes are washed away or uninhabitable by floods or winds or tornados. We live in the illusion that someone (Government or Insurance Co. or Church or Friends/neighbors) will help return our life and misfortune back to normal. Yet it is foolish to assume any of those would not be in worse hardship, and near catastrophic end, including Government.

The closest thing to a Catastrophic and horrific human hell (in my lifetime) was Europe 1939-1955 (World War Two & and the following ten years) where 65 "Million" humans died (Most of starvation or medical/health needs) and fewer the 10% of the 65 million were military combatants while engaged in any form of combat.

Most people who consider themselves "preppers" are prepping for what then think might happen, generally some weather related event, where things return to normal in weeks or months, and the expectation the Government will send help.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 311 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see your thoughts there for sure but why subject good food to being frozen and thawed right now if you don't have to?

People choose to live in places that have regular bad weather events, fires and earthquakes. Every year urban areas get demolished yet people still choose to live in such places. If you are worried about wildfires I don't think anyone in Alaska is going to arrest you for cutting down spruce trees around your cabin to make sure you don't have tinder all around your home.

If you live close to say Los Anchorage you might get bumrushed by hungry liberals but they probably could not manage to get a can of salmon open anyway.

Anyway, it's your food. I don't see the point of ruining it but maybe you do have to worry about the locals there?

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I see your thoughts there for sure but why subject good food to being frozen and thawed right now if you don't have to?
Anyway, it's your food. I don't see the point of ruining it but maybe you do have to worry about the locals there?

I think you may have misunderstood the goal. "FIRST" I purchased (9) NINE cases (24 cans per case of Red Salmon. That is 216 cans "TOTAL" so far, and today I ordered two more cases. Which will give me 264 total cans of Red Salmon. But I have eaten three cans so far with the test.

"ONLY" (6) Six cans have been subjected to the test to discover if freeze/thaw cycle would alter the "TEXTURE".......or might bulge the cans.

The reason for the test is that the internet is full of people "Regurgitating" flawed information. I trust "MY" tests and my 75 years of life experience. So I wanted to Know absolutely 100% for sure, what would happen if the Red Salmon was subjected to four years of freeze/thaw cycles. Also I wanted to know if the freezing might rupture the cans.

Buried in the forest they are protected from Freezing and also from Forest Fires. They are buried in such a way that they can be extracted in the dead of winter with "NO" tools, only digging with gloved hands.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why because we live in a uncertain world.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, cute comment on the libs not being able to open the can of salmon. I keep a P-38 on my key ring + my sons do as well by example. When I have left my truck at the mechanics, only one guy knew what it was.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my P-38 stuck to a magnet on my fridge.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't leave home without it. Big Grin