New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those of you who burn wood
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think much of this would be based on the density of the wood itself. The heaviest wood I have is oak and hickory. They do burn the best as far as length of time, heat output and lingering coals. I load my wood stove with hickory 'night logs' and it is still hot when I get up in the morning.

I do burn a little eastern red cedar that is very dry. I notice when I cut it (live trees) the blocked wood is very heavy but in time, as it dries out it, gets very light. To me it burns similarly to pine, fast. Black walnut and elm are also heavy when first cut but seasoned they are much lighter in weight.

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
suprised mesquites' not on the list... that and pecan are all that i have, unless i buy liveoak...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's a good page that explains the BTU is given per cord, and volume of wood (and the associated weight of the wood) can vary as well. The listing gives the BTU per cord as well as the weight of the cord of wood for that species:

https://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-41 here tonight, which is the same C or F, the gas furnace can't keep up, my wood stove is proving it's worth. Wink

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1606 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
suprised mesquites' not on the list... that and pecan are all that i have, unless i buy liveoak...

Same here in North Texas. 90% mesquite. Burns pretty hot and zero soot.

Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if mesquite is similar to red cedar (juniper)?

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having run a saw through plenty of mesquite, oak, juniper, and pinion, I found myself sharpening chains most often with the mesquite. The only species I've found harder is Desert Ironwood, and man lemme tell you, a chunk of that in the potbelly stove will have you opening the doors and windows to let the heat out of the house...

Desert Ironwood

Posts: 2969 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same can be said for Bois d arc. It's hell on chainsaw blades; I sent off a blank to Hulet at Bishops years ago + he said, don't you EVER do that again!

Posts: 4259 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,