Notify
Tools

Fuel prices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
P Dog, for sure. Most people nowadays have never had to do 'without'. They have not had to because welfare was always there for them.

I do see a lot of signs that the food supply is going to suffer significantly and that will cause a lot of problems even for the hand-out crowd.

Near as I can tell, people still don't expect things to get "bad". Even preppers don't really seem concerned. Sure they talk about it, but they don't actually do anything that would indicate a elevated level of concern.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed today that 87 regular went up 20 cents per gal. since yesterday. Also just saw in the National Revue that inflation is now up 8.6 %; highest its been in the last 4 decades.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even preppers don't really seem concerned. Sure they talk about it, but they don't actually do anything that would indicate a elevated level of concern.

Because we are prepared much more so than the average citizen. They are all still focused on getting their summer vacations in. When winter comes, they may regret that.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Even preppers don't really seem concerned. Sure they talk about it, but they don't actually do anything that would indicate a elevated level of concern.

Because we are prepared much more so than the average citizen. They are all still focused on getting their summer vacations in. When winter comes, they may regret that.

Only so much space.

I did plant longer keeping vegetables.

Don't want to end up with piles and piles of stuff that had to be thrown out like the older couple I mention in the old pasta posting.

I am far more worried about those who have not prepped at all.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
quote:

Only so much space.

I did plant longer keeping vegetables.

Don't want to end up with piles and piles of stuff that had to be thrown out like the older couple I mention in the old pasta posting.

I am far more worried about those who have not prepped at all.

I recommend you take up pressure canning, dehydrating and other methods of food preservation if you already haven't. It's well worth the effort.

I pressure canned most of the potatoes I grew last year. First time doing taters that way. Tried some a few days ago. They were wonderful. I had grown about 75 pounds. They can also be dried. I may do some that way this year. I am expecting double the harvest.

As far as those who don't prepare. Yes, depending on your life situation this could be a serious threat. Desperate people do desperate things. We all know this.

It's a damn shame that in the 21 century our country is on the brink of regression.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recommend you take up pressure canning, dehydrating and other methods of food preservation if you already haven't. It's well worth the effort.

Been doing so for decades. Still only so much room.

What's enough a years supply a two year supply a three year supply ect ect.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Been doing so for decades. Still only so much room.

What's enough a years supply a two year supply a three year supply ect ect.

Might be worth your while to sell off excess produce to good neighbors then.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might be worth your while to sell off excess produce to good neighbors then.

Give most of it away to friends and neighbors.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years past when I gardened much more than I do now + had a large excess of vegetables I would take them to the Capital Area Food Bank. That worked for a bit then they preferred canned goods. Understandable. Asked me to take the produce to the homeless shelters; O.K., I'm as good a Christian as the next man but I tend to draw the line somewhere. Folks will ride a free horse to death.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Years past when I gardened much more than I do now + had a large excess of vegetables I would take them to the Capital Area Food Bank. That worked for a bit then they preferred canned goods. Understandable. Asked me to take the produce to the homeless shelters; O.K., I'm as good a Christian as the next man but I tend to draw the line somewhere. Folks will ride a free horse to death.

That's why my charity is to donate blood. No one gets snotty about it and it won't go to waste.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's why my charity is to donate blood. No one gets snotty about it and it won't go to waste.

I have always have found it amazing how picky some people are about free food.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that a lot of them have forgotten the old adage, "Beggers can't be choosers."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a along the same line; about 20 years ago my partner in business died. He was heavily into electronics, diodes, etc. + most things that I have no concept of. His office was FULL of unopened pkgs. from Radio Shack still with the price sticker on them. I'm talking about enough parts to fill the bed of a pick up, I know because I did. I called habitat for humanities + they just said, well bring it on by + we'll decide if we
re interested. F.U. So I took the truck load to Goodwill but they weren't interested so I got fed up + just threw everything in the dumpster. The waste was what bothered me, good products being trashed because some folks don't want to make the effort of passing it along. I would do it different today, now with the internet, @ will get you 4 that if I posted today, I would have a lot of folks interested in those electronic parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have always have found it amazing how picky some people are about free food.

Because they really are not hungry. Very few people (if any) of current times in the USA have ever experienced hunger. They have zero appreciation and expect the handouts.

I offered a bunch of venison to the local food bank last November when they were asking for donations. I had it all cut into primals. They would not come and get it and also were put off it had not been cut up and packaged. Lazy mofos.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly! That's why my preacher buddy takes the hogs + deer directly to the families in need. A very good case of screw the middle man.