New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is why I raise a few hair sheep. 'Ramchops' here is built like a horse just on crappy drought grass. No grain. No alfalfa. He's a complete slob on practically nothing.

He goes to freezer camp this winter.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are versatile on what they eat + I have never had a problem with the taste because of that. I would take an old Billy, string him up by his hind legs, cut his throat, then Immediately gut him + fill the cavity with ice. The end result is meat so tender that a toothless little old lady could eat it.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, carcass care is half the equation in making sure the meat is good. I am waiting until winter so I can let this guy hang after slaughtering. I do the same with whitetail bucks. Meat is always tasty.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy a couple of weaned ram lambs every year. I just picked up a couple of dorpers. I will butcher them in early 2024.

I keep a couple of horned soay rams for pasture ornaments but if SHTF they too would 'eat' just fine.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Ma'am!

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old friends in the past lived on Muleshoe ranch here in Texas. They went to Second Monday Trades Day in Bowie and bought a young goat, took him home, hung him by his hind legs, cut his throat.Took him to an old black gentleman's barbeque cafe in Megargel. Had him smoked whole overnight. That following night threw a big party with Cabrito and cold beer. Those were the days.

Craftsman

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post