New
Find
Notify
Tools

New toy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have wanted a battery operated full size (16" and Li batteries) chainsaw for awhile now and finally bought one. It's for small jobs but I ordered two batteries and would be getting a couples hours of work out of it if needed.

While unpacking it I thought wow, I would be able to recharge these batteries on my solar or regular generator and could use this saw in a long term power outage situation if regular fuel became unavailable for my Stihl gas saws. That means I would still be able to heat my house in a SHTF situation.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, Linda bought one + loves it.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Ann, Linda bought one + loves it.

Very cool! I have not used mine yet but soon. I am busy brush hogging the front half of my property right now.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ryobi on sale. 20” cutting bar and it’s a beast.

So far I have done 2 full sized trees and the battery still had some juice.

I can recharge off a solar panel.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a smaller Stihl battery saw it is handy.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far I have done 2 full sized trees and the battery still had some juice.

What size of trees at the butt and how tall.

And what do you mean by done.

Done to me is dropped delimbed the cut into 16 inch blocks for fire wood.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude, only 16"?

I burn 19" and only because my splitter can handle that. My wood stove would hold 23" wood.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Six even pieces out of a 8 foot log.

Use have a wood furnace that wood take 32"

But As I get a bit long in the tooth I per to cut them a bit smaller

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious. Do you buy logs? I never have trees that are just 8 foot in length. Most are significantly larger and I limb and cut 19" blocks.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have in the past.

My major heading stove I have now well take 19 inch wood. We find it is just harder to use then 16 inch stuff. I find now that 16 inches work better for me and the wife now. She is even asking me to split it finer.

I have a wood stove in the basement that I never use any more that can take 30 inch wood.

I have used a lot bigger wood in the past. I find now it is not a good idea any more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I bought a Ryobi lawnmower a couple of years ago and when I realized the big battery would also fit their chainsaw, I bought one. Amazed at what it can do. I gave away my Husqvarna gasser.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I sure love such handy gadgets. I will say there are times I still get my 40 year old black and decker corded drill out. All depends on the job but the battery tools are much more convenient for sure. Oh, plus less noise!

~Ann