THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Preparing For The Unknown    "What" is the Number one "Rule" reference SHTF....???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"What" is the Number one "Rule" reference SHTF....???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I think modern conveniences infiltrate no matter who you are. I grew up without air conditioning, fans, heated bedroom, actually did walk to school until 7th grade. Hated that school bus ride. Summer nights were quite uncomfortable and I would hate to have to go back to that.

Strangely, in such modern times we actually face being bombed back to the stone age simply because of political strife. Life for sure will not be as comfortable but I know I would survive.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Head to the Winchester, have a cold pint and wait for this all to blow over.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So would I Ann but some of us who grew up with it could manage. Convenience + complacency are the watch words of the day. As a lad in my grandmother house she had a hand pump next to the sink in the kitchen from the cistern. I remember it well. When I moved to this little community (not anymore) we still had crank phones ( Istill love that I had the chance to experience hat.) We didn't have electrical service out this far then, so no water well among other things. I built a wooden tower that held 4 55 gal. drums soldered by connecting pipe in tandem. Gravity feed. Rain water collection went into barrels + I could pump from those barrels into the tower mounted barrels at 1st by a hand pump but then getting smarter, building a bracket that would attach a washing machine pump to a hinged assembly on a 2x4 + attached under the hood of my truck + powered by the flywheel w/ a small belt after putting on the correct wheel size to the shaft. Then once priming the pump, let it suck up the water to the overhead tanks while the engine is in idle. I'm thankful to have new conveniences but I am equally thankful for experiences in possibly dire situations. "Builds Character!"

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Builds Character!"

Too bad so very few people practice this anymore. So many youngsters are growing up as useless ninnies. Couple of generations of that now.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, there was a reason I posted this on the Crater. It doesn't take much to see how the country has gone downhill (and rather rapidly in the last 10 years) since this experiment was conducted.

I am glad I live rural.

What Utopia Looks Like

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! I'm reminded of a scene online where 2 Democrats are 'stranded' on an escelalor half way up. + both are screaming for help + someone to save them. Big Grin

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even the early pioneers traded with others for things they could not make or grow themselves.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartering is a lost art. People only look at it in monetary value over an item they really need. They can only look at something if they were using money instead of how much the item would fix or add to their kit.

Often times I find that the value of training someone a skill is 'worthless' in value to most. I rarely even get a 'thanks' for it. Never understood that. Knowledge is power and very valuable.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's also non-taxable, although the IRS wants you to claim it. I do a lot of bartering with others. Primarily services for services. Ann, along the line of your last comment; I had a lawyer call me up one day + wanted a metal sign built for his business. This was about 25 years ago + I gave him a quote of $80.00 + he went ballistic, Oh that's way to much, How long will it take you? I said, that's really not relevant but it will take me about an hour. He goes off again + says, But that's what I make an hour. I said so whats your problem? He says that's different because I have an education. Guess who didn't get a sign from me? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
that they were totally self-sufficient

Really did they make all their farming equipment.

Make their own wagons, buggies, harnesses, horse shoes, grind their own flour, make their own kerosene for their lamps.

Grow their own coffee.

Make their own canning jars and lids

I have a lot of "old order" in laws they buy a lot of things.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
It's also non-taxable, although the IRS wants you to claim it. I do a lot of bartering with others. Primarily services for services. Ann, along the line of your last comment; I had a lawyer call me up one day + wanted a metal sign built for his business. This was about 25 years ago + I gave him a quote of $80.00 + he went ballistic, Oh that's way to much, How long will it take you? I said, that's really not relevant but it will take me about an hour. He goes off again + says, But that's what I make an hour. I said so whats your problem? He says that's different because I have an education. Guess who didn't get a sign from me? Big Grin

Well, your customer sure went about it the wrong way.

Recently, I have been looking for someone to work on my tractor. I have a couple of issues beyond my arthritis and skill. One guy quoted me $75 an hour plus pick up and delivery fees. Quickly doing the math a forty hour work week at that wage is somewhere over $150,000 a year. Wow, I had no idea being a tractor mechanic was such a good gig but okay.

So since I have been ripped off before I asked him what his credentials are (training and experience), if he guaranteed his work and I had also had provided some photos of the issues I needed help on and asked for a basic estimate. The guy immediately ceased conversation with 'sorry, I can't help you'...

Now, as a professional, I never made that kind of money even on overtime. I did have to prove my credentials every time I had to testify in court, etc. I didn't think it was such a terrible thing to ask quals but that sure sent him scurrying. Later, I found several bad reviews on the net about him and the last post on his FB business page was of him having returned from a long vacay in Mexico and now ready to work on tractors again.

So good thing he turned me down. I don't behoove anyone wanting spendy vacations, big houses and what not just not good business to promote stuff like that on your business page. And one should be able to prove their expertise. I even ask surgeons the same questions due to several botched medical procedures.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad you live so far away Ann, I have a mechanic here that works on my son's + other's equipment for a song. My son picked up a backhoe a few years ago that was almost new but had been left on the job site. No body came to get it + the job super just wanted it gone but no one could start it. So my son Jake calls up Bill to come get it running. Bill shows up + has it going in 45 minutes. What a deal! I agree that I have no problem with anyone having a good vacation if that's what suits them, just don't rub it in peoples faces. O.K. along the same lines of stupid comments, here's another. I have a 100 yd. range on my property in the valley behind my house w/ concrete benchs, etc. I let folks come out to sight their rifles in. One day I get a call from a guy that I didn't know but was a friend of a friend so I said just come on out + use the range free of charge. When he got here he said, I know where I am now, I have the property behind you leased for deer season; + I'm not sure I want to shoot here + be scaring MY deer. I told him not to worry it won't make any difference as folks shoot here all the time + the deer are used to it. So he says, "Well, I don't really care for all this shooting going on around MY deer." 'Polite answer';I directed him to the gate. I really can't believe some of the things people say!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, heres a joke for you. A Doctor calls a plumber for a service call + when he gets the bill he says "Hell' I'm a Doctor + I don't make that kind of money." The plumber says, "I didn't either when I was a Doctor."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, sorry one more. Concerning your comment on the medical issue. I heard a motivational seminar years ago by Zig Zeigler that one of the parts applicable here was that when folks were asked about their intake of alcohol, the common response was because it sharpens my nerves. So by that thought process, if it works for you it should work for anyone, tight? So before you go into open heart surgery, you might insist that the Surgeon take a drink 1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often feel a salary is overrated. Skills are skills. What makes a doctor more valuable if you have nothing to eat. Wink Both can save your life.

About the moron who complained about your shooting range... I belonged to a club back in Michigan as I only had a 5 acre property there which was not suitable for sighting in firearms.

The local range was nice and almost never saw anyone there when I took my rifles to play around with. Many times while shooting there were deer just hanging back where the targets were.

~Ann