New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springtime
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In my woods it is an early spring due to the prevailing weather pattern (la nina). This also means a high probability of late freezes in April/May and that means once again, no fruits from my fruit trees.

So with that knowledge one must be prepared. I can't do anything about the fruit trees but I am currently refurbishing a few of my IBC totes in the garden and some will get frames so I can drape clear tarps over them for cold crops.

This season I also plan to try my hand at grafting tomato plants. I will try some very disease resistant cultivars for root stock and apply some heritage varieties to them to try for increased strength. I grew a few of the disease resistant varieties last season and did not like the fruits. Tasteless. However, they did well against Fusarium and other fungal wilts.

~Ann

Posts: 19167 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't know what goodwill does with old/torn sheets but most frosts if you can just get a cover of some sort over the trees it will keep the blossoms from being killed by frost. You can also leave the sheets on the tree for a week without harm to the tree or blossoms.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will find grafting tomatoes very gratifying. They are quite happy to sprout roots. I use Perlite in plastic cups and water. When the tomatoes start sprouting suckers at the leaf axils, tear them off and place into the moist perlite. Keep moist for a couple of weeks or until you have a root bundle starting. Then go to potting soil. They'll give you a nice second crop.

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post