New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boots. Your opinions wanted...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Having a problem settling on boots for my June trip. Do I go with an extreme hiking boot or a backpacker boot. Both are gore-tex and fit. Same manufacturer. $220 versus $350. I'm not trying to pinch pennies but the backpacker is a boot I will wear more often.
Do I need a specialty boot for tur hunting?

Thanks in advance.
Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you doing some serious climbing, I would suggest Kenetrek Un-insulated Mountain boots. I have used them a lot on hunts with a lot of climbing and they have served me well.
I suspect tur is a climbing hunt - you better be sure of your footwear.

I worked in that part of the world and the locals will likely be wearing flip flops or something similar.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look at Meindl boots.

I have not had experience with Kenetrek but my friend has. He switched to Meindl and likes them a lot better. He has done a lot of sheep hunting.

Surely not saying Kenetrek are bad, just going by someone I know well and who has a lot of experience.

I have used mine Meindl's a lot! Very good boot.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Decided to wear my winter boots and take them off if my feet get too hot!

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my tur hunt I wore La Sportiva Evo which is a pretty tought one. I would go towards heavy.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ski, I wore Hanwag Alaska un-insulated boots. Similar to the Kenetrek, Meindl and Lowa sheep hunting boots. These are, IMO, the right weight boot for these hunts.

You want a boot with a full length shank for climbing, and it needs to be stiff for steep sidehilling. I highly recommend Sole or Superfeet insoles to help with sidehilling.

The guys that I hunted with wore mid weight hiking boots and those were not good in the rocks or really steep stuff. OK for 80% of the hiking, but not is the really nasty stuff.

If you go with the winter boots, I suggest you take twice as many pairs of socks and change them every time you stop and rest. The temperatures will be in the 40's up to the 80's in the middle of the day.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks buddy. Just what I was looking for. Smiler

Ski+3

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
My Lowa Tibets served me well in Azerbaijan.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntingineurope
posted Hide Post
I had great pleasure of "Hanwag Canyon Wide GTX.

But otherwise see what the locals use.. dancing

SCI Life Member
www.allanvester.dk

Posts: 111 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Showing up with muck boots would be a hoot!

Ski+3

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
And rags to wrap around your feet!.. Socks are way overrated for those guys!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore scarpa wrangells. nice and stiff.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I worked on my uncles rice farm we used boot rags all the time to help with boot fit but no one used those rubber boots to climb stuff like in the photo above!!!!!! And the amazing thing is that some of the locals come back alive,

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote