Tools

Blue Sheep?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
Anyone take a blue sheep lately?

How's Nepal?

Keep hoping for other Blue sheep areas to open back up.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA TACTICAL,

I have two hunters leaving soon for a Nepal blue sheep hunt. My husband booked a blue sheep in Northern Pakistan for late February 2013.

If interested in going with him, send me a PM and I will send you the contact information. Should be quite an adventure!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9403 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA TACTICAL,
Two years ago we received the mandate from two of our clients to book them on this hunt, to which we had never sent a client before. We explored the different local operators, gathering as much information about them as possible and we thoroughly checked out as many references that we could find, eventually coming down to a short list of just two outfitters.
We presented all this information to the clients and finally got them booked for the fall of 2011. Their hunt was a complete success with everything working out perfectly.
With mouth-to-mouth being the best advertising possible, we now have two more clients booked for this Fall plus my partner and I, as this is a hunt I have been dreaming of for many years (I had it booked for 2004 or 2005 in China, and that year China closed all its hunting for non resident aliens) and another two clients booked for Spring 2013.
There is just one open slot for this fall, several openings for 2013, and 2014 is basically all open yet.
Please feel free to ask, should you require any information.
Regards,
Alvaro Mazon
Camino Real Hunting Consultants SL
Spain

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be open to looking at it. Please send me the info. I would maybe be more interested for 2014. I have a few hunts I want to do and it is just a matter of picking which one I think interests me the most. Blue sheep is one on my list for a hunt for one time or another.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Nepal blue sheep.....the greatest adventure hunt in the world...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nube,

the price of the blue sheep hunt is $12,500 plus $2,500 for licences and permits and donation to the rural community.
this price includes basically everything except accomodation in Kathmandu before and after the hunt, extras of personal nature, and gratuities.
it does not include the cost of helicopter which will be shared by the number of hunters in the expedition, which could be three, but that we recommend is limited to two.

if you fly directly from Kathmandu and back the total cost will be somewhere from $13,000 to $15,000. the helicopter will leave you at around 8,000ft and you will walk for 2-4 days with a team of 20-25 porters plus sherpas and hunting guides to your hunting camp which will be around 12,000ft.

there is the possibility that the heli-charter company could have a chopper stationed in Pokhara in which case you could either fly commercially to Pokhara for $400 or be transfered in a 4x4 with a substantial saving in the heli-charter. two days ago the local newspaper mentioned that one of the heli-charter companies had just acquired an aircraft that would stay permanently in Pokhara but I will add that it will depend on how much business they see, as this part of the country is not as busy with expeditions as it is on the East, close to Mt. Everest.

there is the posibility of trekking all the way from the road where the 4x4 will leave you to your hunting camp. if you hunt in the lower blocks of the Dhorpathan Reserve -the only place that may be hunted as of today- it will take 5 days, 9 if we're talking of the highest and most remote hunting blocks. doing this, but still flying out, you will cut the cost in half.

the population of Blue Sheep in Dhorpatan Reserve are healthy and sound, and every hunter will have his opportunity at a trophy animal, with his resiliency and capacity to withstand high altitude being the limiting factor.

Alvaro

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Is the $13-15k per person or for the helicopter.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is per person and the helicopters are usually around $2500 to be shared with one other hunter. I could be wrong but I think that is about what I have seen in the past. In the end I figured the hunt would cost around $17-18K plus flights to the country. If I am out of line please let me know. The trophy fee is a small par t of the hunt

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Man I am out of the loop, looks like they went up quite a bit.

There is another hunt I won't get to do for a long time.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA TACTICAL,

China will open soon(hopefully)and maybe their price won't have gone up so much.

Hawkeye

one of us
posted Hide Post
SheepHunterAB,

That is the total cost, roundtrip from Kathmandu, to be shared between the number of hunters in the expedition, ideally, two hunters.

Hawkeye47,

Unfortunately, there is no single reason to think that China will open except that is something we all wish would happen.

China is home to a number of extremely interesting species: deer, like Musk deer, Tufted deer, Sika, Sambar, Pére David's, White Lipped... four gazzelle subspecies (Persian, Tibetan, Mongolian and Przewalski's), Tibetan and Saiga Antelopes, Goral, Serow, Takin, Tahr, Ibex, Blue Sheep, Dwarf Blue Sheep, and a broad variety of different Argalis: Altai, Marco Polo, Littledale`s, Tibetan, Adametzi, Sanshi...

A hunter's paradise, specially a mountain hunter's!

Alvaro

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
China was fantastic in it's day.

Hopefully that day is open again.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montero:
SheepHunterAB,

That is the total cost, roundtrip from Kathmandu, to be shared between the number of hunters in the expedition, ideally, two hunters.

Alvaro

So basically you are looking at $22,000 for the hunt/including helicopter then if two hunters travel together?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you use the helicharter from and to Kathmandu.

If you use it from/to Pokhara only, the cost for each of the two hunters will come down to $19,000.

Alvaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted mine in Pakistan the first year that they were legal to hunt. They only issued 2 permits and I had the second one. I did the hunt with Anchan. I was expecting a"Russian" experience, but it turned ot to be one of the most organized hunts I have ever done. Combined it wit ibex as well. Pakistan was awesome, fantastic mountains. Shot my blue sheep way north on the karakorum highway. I highly recommend this hunt.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Got quoted around $15-20,000 for Pakistan.

Guess this is something I am not doing anytime soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or anything else for that matter except for dealing out internet surfing hunt reports.
Thanks commando!

Posts: 210 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.jimshockey.com/phot...8/2012--Nepal/page-1

Some great photos of Jim Shockey and Corey Knowlton's recent hunt in Nepal.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9403 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote