Find
Notify
Tools

RUSSIAN ALTAY OR MONGOLIA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Anyone hunted the Russian Altay/Altai latley? Howabout on the Mongolia side?

Looking to combine Roe bucks, wildboar, and Ibex in 2010.

I am going to use Safari Outfitters as a booking agent, as Clark is a personal friend of many years. Just wondered who had been latley?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Was supposed to hunt ibex (brown bear) in the Sayan mountains this May but had to cancel off. Will mostly likely do this hunt next May! You will see a hunt report from me after my hunt..
I have two friends who hunted there lately and they both had a blast, shooting good ibex (see my blog, have one picture posted) and enjoying the spectacular mountains.

This is arranged by a norwegian guy called Ansten Østbye. He works with a lot of the bigger international booking agenzies as well, and has gotten a good reputation. He knows Russia! Smiler

There are some roebucks there as well, but not the biggest ones, like you find in Kasaksthan and central Russia. Some big maral stags there that might be hunted in Sept-Oct.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the Mongolian side but it was two years ago. The hunting was good, very tough but we did find Ibex.

I booked through Kern but from whati I understand there are only two maybe three hunting companies in Mongoloa, Juulchin and Mongolian travel are the only two of any size. All of the agents Safari Outfitters, Consortium, Neal, etc..... use one of these two companies to book their hunters. Very satisfying hunt. However; if you have never done one of these asian hunts before be prepared for a lot more BS just getting into and out of your hunting area, than anywhere else I have ever hunted. It took us 13 days to do a 5 day Ibex hunt.

One more thing is that the Mongolians are very prideful. When it came time to tip at the end of the hunt I watched as all of them openend their evelopes and compared how much each of them was tipped. I left and several of them came to my hut asking for more tip. One of these was the assistant hunter that I had just tipped $300 for the three days he hunted with me.

Hope this helps

Jason Jeter

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Jason how many goats did you whack? Did you hunt the Gobi for gazelles as well? What else did you take?

Details man, your killing me.

Just checked you out on PRCA, I grew up for the most part in Wyoming and my parents brought Little Britches rodeo and team penning to Wyoming in the late 1960s. I road bareback and saddle bronc in high school in New Mexico for few rodeos, but ended up getting into FFA and vaginas and Mom turned off the purse strings toward rodeo when I got trampled at Soccorro county fair in 1991.

Respect the hell out of anyone that makes a living fighting broncs. Bulls just don't have the same romance (for lack of a better word).

Now after 15 years of being a saltwater cowboy, I don't regret choosing the Navy, but sometimes I miss the lights, dust, and feel of rals on the shoulders of some half belgian physco horse trying to turn my insides to mush.

Seth

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seth

PM sent

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,

I have hunted the Mongolian side as well for the Altai Ibex. I believe the same year Jason did. I would say he sums up the Asian hunting experience rather well and is correct that there are only a couple of hunting companies in the area.

Our group (4 persons) did well shooting 4 goats in about 2 days of hunting. 2 the first day and 2 the second day and all respectable billies.

We also included China in our trip just to do something, but it did add a lot of extra days to the trip.

I also believe the rules in Mongolia have changed some as the only offer a limited amount of permits now. I could be wrong, but I think that is true.

It is definitely worth the experience. Even after working in Asia several times over the past few years, hunting there just adds that extra element.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks PCS and Jason.