Find
Notify
Tools

Mongolian Elk??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
About 10 years or so there were quite a few hunting stories about hunting Elk Mongolia in New Zealand hunting magzines,i have heard the Elk herds have all been poached and there are few Elk left in Monglia,is this true??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
I hunted Maral Stag in Mongolia in October 1991. The hunting was great, unfortunately things went down hill a few years after Mongolia became fully independent.

Most of the Elk (Maral) were poached and the antlers in velvet cut and sold to Chinese merchants for “medicinal useâ€.

There has been better enforcement of the game laws now and the Maral population is recovering and hunting has opened in some areas but the numbers and trophy quality will take time to recover.

Here are some photographs from my hunt.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Aziz Sahib, excellent photos thanks for sharing.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures once again Aziz. I have to wonder if there is anywhere you have not been!

You always make me think about a new exotic destination.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Probably the best maral hunting is in Kazakhstan. There are a few in Kyrgyzstan, too, but most were wiped out at the beginning of the 20th Century.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aziz too good man would love to see ur trophy room pic as u have almost done hunting in every part of the world,regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Aziz:

I also hunted elk in Mongolia in 1991, but ours was the last hunt of the season and there was a foot of snow everywhere. Even so, we saw literally hundreds of bulls.

You took a beautiful animal. There were twelve of us in our group and, although everyone shot 6x6 elk, only one of them was as large as yours. It wasn't mine, unfortunately.

I did take a super Siberian roebuck, though.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote