THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Tiger hunting in Nepal, rare footage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger hunting in Nepal, rare footage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...mxMo&feature=related

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9379 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my idea of a hunt, but we were shooting Bison from trains back then, and punt-gunning Passenger Pigeons, so times were different, I guess.

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Damn Biebs, your getting on up there. I didn't realize you were that old when I asked about trading you my 458 Lott.I still have an old Sharps you might be able to handle.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
When reading the old books a few things become apparant. There were a lot of tigers around and the cost of organising such a hunt was affordable only for the royalty. Immaging 20 elephants and 300 men! The other factor is that the tigers often charged the elephants and were shot while charging. The howdah pistol was used to kill the tiger if it reached the elephant and tried to climb on top to get at the hunters!

By the 1940s such big hunts had almost completely stopped. It was no longer affordable & the number of tigers had dropped from over 60,000 to less than 10,000. During the 50s & 60s all tiger hunting was done froam a machan over a bait or kill and the only elepahnt hunts were for follow up of wounded tigers. By 1971 the Tiger numbers in India & Nepal was down to less than 1900.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
looking at the hunters attire, I would think the hunt took place in the 50s or 60s.
I do like the rifles.. Particularly the low recoiling double. Possibly a 450/400J or 375F?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
looking at the hunters attire, I would think the hunt took place in the 50s or 60s.
I do like the rifles.. Particularly the low recoiling double. Possibly a 450/400J or 375F?

..or perhaps a 12bore paradox.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Adam, you may be right, as this was in Nepal where the Royal family continued the old traditions a bit longer.

Just imagine the cost of organising such a hunt today.... 20 elephants and the cost of feed, grooms, stables, a vet etc. Daily wages for 300 men. Food for all the people involved, .... must be a lot more than a Tanzanian safari for 15 days!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes I could imagine this hunt would cost a pretty penny but with some African wages today at a bit over one dollar a day it may not have been as expensive as one would think (even in Asia).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I remember being shown a similar film, though in color, back in the 1950's by Dr. Howard
Liljestrand of Honolulu, an old friend of my parents who was able to do much world travel. Google his name if you want to see a gorgeous house in paradise. It's now a landmark.

quote:

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote