http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=578

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9380 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is sad that the Chinese don't open up again. We hunted blue sheep and Tibetan gazelle there in 97. Damn what a hunt! We even saw argali of some species that I do not recall.

It was quite an adventure. The food sucked. We had a 21 hour jeep ride to get to the camp from the last airport. We were in rugged, remote mountains that were beyond magnificent. The altitudes were high. Lots of animals. It was a real adventure hunting with 2 Chinese guys who could speak zero English. It worked out very well and I would do it again.

I pride myself on being in shape and I am. However, I am also from the flatlands with less than 100 feet elevation. On the first day of the hunt, we climbed to 17,000 feet. I was damn proud of myself until I looked over and my two guides were smoking cigarettes! Burst my bubble.

Posts: 11997 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RichP470
posted Hide Post
Larry, you are lucky you have gotten to experience China. I have a deposit down to go as soon as it opens. Ome very cool sheep to hunt!

Posts: 72 | Location: Saratoga, CA | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichP470:
Ome very cool sheep to hunt!

Indeed! Count me in for some of the various argali if it opens! Kazakstan as well....

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prior to China closing hunting, were any of their Argalis importable into the U.S.A.?

My husband really wants to hunt a Golden Takin if China opens.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old video on hunting takin. Very interesting.

When I get time, I will try and find my old pictures . They were not digital. I can scan them. It is truly amazing.

Posts: 11997 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtMHaf6aB4

Thanks Larry,

After your post, I checked youtube and found a video with Golden Takin and some other China hunts.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave for Zimbabwe tomorrow. I have been packing. I chanced upon my pictures from China. When I return from Zim, I will have them scanned and post them.

I was wrong. It appears I hunted there in 98.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Fabulous Larry! I'm looking forward to seeing them! If China and Kazakstan open for sheep ever again count me in!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett:

Trust me it is worth it. I saw so many crazy interesting things. The mountains are magnificent. The way these people live is incredible. Unimaginable remote places. Herds of wild camels. Argalis. I saw many wolves. Close too! Whacked a Tibetan gazelle at over 800 yards by pure luck.

When I get back, I will compose a report from memory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the pictures in today. I selected a number to scan. My assistant is scanning them. I will draft a report while I am traveling this week on business. I will post the report with pictures next week upon my return.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also had a deposit for Blue Sheep in China which was canceled. I booked a different hunt and booked travel through Kathi. Things worked out great but I'm still looking forward to hunting Blue Sheep someday.

The last time I was in China was in 1986.
Congratulations to those who have been hunting in China. I can't wait to see your photos.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
That's awesome Larry! Thanks!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Larry, that is fabulous. You are getting some real adventures these days,aren't you?

If I were you, I'd get one of those cigarette lighter-sized digital recorders to dictate events on the day they occur, so you do not forget. I like the Olympus ones. They take one AAA battery and connect to your computer via USB for downloading. So small you do not notice that you are carrying it.

Norm

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Brett:

Trust me it is worth it. I saw so many crazy interesting things. The mountains are magnificent. The way these people live is incredible. Unimaginable remote places. Herds of wild camels. Argalis. I saw many wolves. Close too! Whacked a Tibetan gazelle at over 800 yards by pure luck.

When I get back, I will compose a report from memory.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote