New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nepal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The days are counting down, my son and I leave April 6th for our Blue Sheep/Tahr hunt in Nepal. We hope to find a fine Muntjac Barking Deer along the way to the high country.We will be on the mountain 2 weeks or so and in Nepal until May 1rst. Plan on taking the helo trip to Everest and hopefully set down near one of the camps for photos.
I would like to see if anyone has been on this hunt at the same time of year and any advice regarding weather conditions for outerware, boots and etc.

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I did that hunt about 20 years ago. Weather will be cold/ changeable. Need good mountain boots.
You are about to do the worlds greatest hunting adventure. Good luck......

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got that hunt on my list as well. Tur then Marco polo first and then will be looking at Blue sheep in Nepal. Can't wait to hear your report.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Can someone please tell me the logistics of taking a firearm into Nepal. I presume You will have to transit through India (Calcutta?).

What are the permits required and how long does it take to get them? how do you go about it?

BTW who is the outfitter / guide?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11017 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
huntnjim:

Jim Shockey had a 4 part series from Nepal last year. It was fascinating. You might want to try and find those episodes.

Posts: 12013 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Larry watch if the first time it was out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice article on Nepal in the latest SCI magazine.

Posts: 12013 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got e-mailed a hunt offer from Safari Outiftters

Is it really this cheap? What are the costs of the extras?
Here is part of the E-mail
I e-mailed them back a couple days ago and have yet to hear back from them. I guess they are busy and not in a hurry to sell a hunt

Hunt prices start at only $10,800 for blue sheep (plus license/concession fee/charter). All hunting is done on a 1x1 basis and you will have a large group of porters (Sherpas) to assist in getting you in and out of the hunting area. Barking deer (muntjac) and/or wild boar can be taken on this hunt for no additional cost. Be aware that this can be a physically demanding hunt, so as with any mountain hunt, being in good shape is always best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
I just got e-mailed a hunt offer from Safari Outiftters

Is it really this cheap? What are the costs of the extras?
Here is part of the E-mail
I e-mailed them back a couple days ago and have yet to hear back from them. I guess they are busy and not in a hurry to sell a hunt

Hunt prices start at only $10,800 for blue sheep (plus license/concession fee/charter). All hunting is done on a 1x1 basis and you will have a large group of porters (Sherpas) to assist in getting you in and out of the hunting area. Barking deer (muntjac) and/or wild boar can be taken on this hunt for no additional cost. Be aware that this can be a physically demanding hunt, so as with any mountain hunt, being in good shape is always best.

Much much cheaper than my hunt that I have had booked for 4 years now.
I would proceed with caution even though S O has a decent reputation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the concession fee, license and Charter costs are? That looks like the only add on to this hunt. I always figured a Blue sheep hunt would run around $16-20K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The helicopter flight will be very very expensive.
I talked to an reputable outfitter last year and he offered me sheep+thar for around 16k$.
If I ever go I would hike into the area. Will take a week or so, but I would enjoy an extra week of trekking.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2077 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunt will be a little over 20k with helo charges.
Bob Kern at the Hunting Consortium is not the cheapest but he does an excellent job of putting it all togeather to make the travel and coordination in other countries as painless as possible. His group also has a reputation for finding real trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you have an excellent hunt. Please post a report.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2077 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think for the price and the experience I would opt out of the helicopter ride and take the extra time hiking in and getting some mountain legs and getting used to the high altitude. Still have not heard back from Safari Outfitter. Has anyone had good luck with them? Not impressed so far. It has been almost a week with no response.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:
My hunt will be a little over 20k with helo charges.
Bob Kern at the Hunting Consortium is not the cheapest but he does an excellent job of putting it all togeather to make the travel and coordination in other countries as painless as possible. His group also has a reputation for finding real trophies.

Yes, that sounds more in line with the prices I've been quoted as well. There are lots of hidden costs with some. What an adventure that will be...one of the greatest hunting adventures left I'd say. Can't wait for your trip report. Might be next on the list after Azerbaijan this year.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Blue Sheep in Nepal myself last October. You can read about my hunt here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6108036/m/8221022181
I send clients to hunt in Nepal every year... Two clients left this morning. They will be hunting for Blue Sheep, and another client will follow for a Blues Sheep / Tahr combo hunt.
I also have two teams of two clients booked for October.
With this I mean that I am familiar with the destination and with the details of the hunt.
For Fall 2013 and 2104 the hunt sells for $12,500 plus the cost of the license, which is bought at an auction, and the access permit to the Dhorpathan Hunting Reserve, which should stay below the $3,000 mark. There are only 23 licenses for Blue Sheep issued for the whole country and the final proce will depend on demand, though.
In the last two years it has been discussed the opening of a secong huntin territory in the East of the country, Kanchendjunga, but for the time being Dhorpathan is the only place that may be hunted.
You could walk to get there, normally from Pokhara, to avoid the cost of the helicharter, but it would mean from 5 to 9 extra days walking (each way.
Or you could hire a helicharter from Kathmandú for a total cost of $8,400 roundtrip to be shared in the case of being two hunters (I would not recommend being more than two hunters).
Hotels in Kathmandu and gratuities are not included in the price.
Should you need any more information do not hesitate to ask, thanks.
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montero did you happen to carry a sat phone with you and if so did you use any type of solar charger or just extra battery?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I carried my Iridium and a spare battery.

As long as you protect it from the cold, I have never had the need to use the spare one. But then, I do not use it much; in this trip, for example, just to call home when I shot my Blue Sheep, and to call my travel agent to change the tickets.

Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Dean (Nube), I just sent you an e-mail. If you requested information from my office, the request never arrived. ANY information request we receive is responded to within a day or two at the most. Our partners in Nepal get about 1/2 of all of the permits each year (for sheep and tahr). A sheep only hunt will cost about $20,500 including helicopter charter, license fees, community fee. A combination hunt for sheep and tahr will cost about $26,000 total. Of course you would have to add the cost of flights, visa, hotels and tips to the guides/staff. This is one of the best mountain hunts in the world. Since Nepal re-opened in 2008, we have sent MANY hunters there and have taken several huge rams and tahr, including a new world record taken in 2012 and 3 others since then that will be right up in the top of the book.
Safari Outfitters is a full service operation and we assist with ALL aspects of your hunt...including coordinating flights, visas, hotels, gun permits, export documents, import brokers if needed, all documents needed for import, etc. We are the oldest hunting company in the world (est. 1952).
You can reach me by phone anytime - (307) 587-5596
Best regards,
Clark Jeffs
Safari Outfitters
www.safari1.com

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote