Notify
Tools

Jim Corbett's grave
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
https://www.facebook.com/group...408/?mibextid=Nif5oz

I am surprised that the African hunting community has not taken any interest in preserving the history and legacy.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very important post. Thank you. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
One wonders if it would have been better cared for if he had been buried in India.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
One wonders if it would have been better cared for if he had been buried in India.

I would imagine it would have been. If you notice who posts on that Facebook page most are from India.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, he was well regarded in Indian for many reasons.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nice gesture. I am always heartened when I see the regard many Indians have for Corbett. You run across so many comments like "my grandfather knew...or lived... or told me..." or "I grew up with those stories and now share them with my kids..." it's a great testament to Corbett even in this hyper-critical modern age.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
He will always be giant among the legends and my childhood hero whose books taught me forest/hunting skills and knowledge

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Jim was well regarded in India but I imagine there would have been a sense from some that he abandoned India when it became independent from British colonial rule. While he was a very modest man with great empathy for the Indian population, the loss of the trappings that came with British colonial life may have been a bit too much for Jim to give up hence his move with sister Maggie to Kenya.
On the other hand Kenneth Anderson, Jim's equivalent in Southern India, remained in post colonial India for the rest of his life and was buried there on his death from cancer.

Similarly John Hunter, the great white hunter in Africa, felt the draw of colonial life too much after leaving that continent to return to Britain on his retirement. Britain didn't provide the trappings Hunter had been used to so he and his wife returned to Africa and lived out their days there.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote