Find
Notify
Tools

Layover in Istanbul
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted
I am trying to book flights and have the option for an 8 hour layover in Istanbul on the outbound flight. I would like to spend some time checking out the city but is that possible traveling with guns? It will be me and my hunting partner.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Your best source of information will be an official one.

Visit the Turkish consulate nearest you to find out what their laws are regarding this topic. Ask for their answer in writing.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
Turkish Airlines has always been gun friendly. It might be a good idea to book your flights into and out of Istanbul on Turkish Airlines (as opposed to, say, Delta on the US leg and Turkish on the Kyrgyz leg).

There's another reason to do this. If your layover is 10hrs or longer (8 for business) TA will give you a free hotel room and ride into town if you fly TA into and out of Istanbul. If this is true for you, let me know and I will explain the process. They don't really advertise it and you have to know how to do it.

In any case, it is easy and quick to get into town. Get your onward boarding cards at the transit desk, purchase your $20, 3 month multiple entry visa, and go through passport control. There is a luggage room after customs if you want to leave your bag. Then you can take either a taxi or metro/tram combination to get to Sultanhamet where you can see the Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, and many other interesting places. It's very easy to do with 5+ hours layover.

Alternatively, there is a decent but expensive hotel inside the transit lounge where you can catch up on sleep if necessary.

I've never had any problems with optics in my carry on, although 70% of the time they will ask you to open up and show them.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
And if you're checked through to your destination and have less than 24hrs layover, your guns are fine in transit.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote