New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunted Kamchatka?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I won a raffle for a snow sheep hunt in Kamchatka. With Profihunt.

I don't even know where to begin with asking questions. It's not a hunt or area that I've researched much.

Has any one been to the Kamchatka area? Hunted it?

Willing to talk via PM or phone?

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You lucky basket!

That's the TOP of my sheep list without a doubt but I've never hunted it and have no meaningful information for you.

Congratulations and good luck!

I hope others chime in who have "been there, done that".

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
100 pictures is all I need.....good luck and get yourself in shape !!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCNgXA2BrCw

bakerb,

Congratulations and best of luck. ProfiHunt posted a Kamchatka snow sheep hunt to youtube on September 7th. Looks like you will have a great experience.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dammit Kathi! Now my blood pressure is up again!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cam also look at rugged expedition on YouTube, Alain Smith hunting snow sheep on kamchatca.

And congratulation on The raffel, amazing!!

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shot, and with a Blaser K-95 single shot.

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year! Very cool hunt and one I may do again. We did not go through Profi, we booked though an outfitter in Moscow. Safari Outfitters uses the same local guides and we traveled with guys that booked through them. There is a bunch of info I can share. We flew through Anchorage, It was a piece of cake vs going East through Moscow. Language barrier was an issue but nothing that could not be overcome. You will realize how much spanish you know when you are trying to communicate and can't get your point across. Guys we were with gave the option of Helicopter or "ATV" which can be a little cheaper. We chose the "ATV' which is a military personnel carrier( a tank with no turret). The advantage to that is you can move camp if necessary.With a helicopter where they drop you is where you are. The ATV was BRUTAL but we did not sit around waiting on flying weather either. If there are no sheep there you have a problem. We moved camp three times and my ram came from the third camp. Awesome trip. I would suggest talking someone into going along so you have someone to talk to.

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

Did you see any bears? I think I have the option of adding a bear for $6,000, but I'm unclear whether that is payable before even hunting, or after a bear is killed. Still trying to figure things out with the outfitter

From the videos, it looks like I'll need a headnet and some rain gear.

How far was your sheep shot?

I have good binos (10x42 Swaros), and plan to have a 5-25 Swaro scope by then, but am curious whether I should plan on packing in a spotting scope too. Any info here?

Thanks for the response!

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes we saw a few bears but we weren't really looking for them being as we didn't have tags, I think you have to go a little later for bears.

Yes on headnet and rain gear. You will live in the headnet. I never saw Mosquitos like that in my life. And they were carnivorous. They wouldn't put a hole in you they would take a chunk out of you, at least that how they felt. Bring plenty of bug spray too and bring enough for your guide too.

300 yard shot but could be further. I don't go anywhere without my own spotting scope but that is just me. Some will say there is no need but the way I look at it is 1, I have mine to use to help glass for sheep and 2, if the guide has a piece or crap scope I know I have a good one.

Jim

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote