Notify
Tools

Hunting in India - opening up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
http://indianexpress.com/artic...-rojad-in-rulebooks/

The present government has started issuing "vermin" licenses to control wild boar, chital & nilgai that raid agricultural crops.

Since the nilgai's name mean "blue cow" some hindus treat it as a taboo based on the fact that the cow is a sacred animal to hindus.

Now the government documents have started changing its name to some of the local dialect names that call it an antelope.

In some states 200 animals have recently been culled.

There is political backlash from the greenies.

I am not sure if long term sustainable hunting will become a reality.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My grandfather and uncle got to hunt India in the 1960's. Quite a life you have lived Mr. Nakihunter.

My uncle grew up there, he was 11 or 12 when they got there and 18 when they left.

Has tons of stories of his exploits with a 22Lr Winchester pump gun against muntjak, hog deer, cobras, peafowl and monkeys. I wish my grandfather would have put his life to paper, I didn't get to know him as an adult, he had already passed into the oblivion of demntia when I was old enough to know what questions to ask.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks you sir. Yes I have been very fortunate. Grew up as a kid to stories of dad shooting tigers (my avatar) & leopards.

I myself worked in the Tea Plantation for 3 years and shot a few Muntjack including a very respectable buck of about 4.75 inches.

Seen tiger & leopard in national parks, been charged by elephants a few times & once as close as about 4 or 5 feet from our jeep!

Stood on a hill supervising tea pickers and heard a rustle and looked down to see a cobra slinking away from near by boot - just inches away.

I just loved the sounds of the wild. Loved hunting jungle fowl.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote