New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indian Lions poached.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2539 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. It's too bad they won't allow one old male to be hunted every other year or so. I'll bet they could get half a million for one, that money would go a long way to preserving them, if it was used properly of course. They really need to start breeding these lions like they do in South Africa (except NOT for canned hunting). Unfortunately, these critters probably won't be around much longer. Frowner

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I believe that the cats are doing pretty well and have reached the carrying capacity of their one remaining refuge. I think the main problem is that with all the remaining wild asiatic lions in one place, a single natural disaster or wave of disease can wipe them all out.

Since the Indian states seem to be having a pissing contest over who has them, another enterprising asian country needs to get some of these cats and establish a refuge of their own. Preferably a country like Turkey which allows hunting unlike India. Because the conservation value of hunting one old male would benefit the species greatly.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The main problem with something like this is corruption. In any third world country (particularly in Asia) where millions struggle to survive every day, corruption is rife. I've been to India 4 times and anyone here who has spent more than 3 or 4 months straight in India will have hit this. During my second last trip (2004), 2 Benghal tigers were poached. Not in the wild, but in New Delhi Zoo. The culprits? The Zoo staff!