THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Hunt report, Ibex in Mongolia (Argali pictures added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt report, Ibex in Mongolia (Argali pictures added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted
After 3 days of travel from Sydney Australia, (which was a story in itself) here is my report of my friend Dean, Chris and myself - Alti Ibex Hunt in Mongolia.

Plans were made and Dean was to hunt with Moochie (guide)and a local whilst Chris and I would head off with Zorick (guide).
We were to hunt the same area but from opposite side's of the valley keeping in contact with UHF radios. The next day could not come soon enough, as we had been travelling for 3 solid days and now the hunt was about to begin
The plan was to be up at 6.00am (doesn't get daylight until after 8am) have some breakfast, which was omelette and fried sliced salami of some sort, coffee and some home made bread with honey.
We headed off into the mountains at around 7am and basically drove until it was light enough to see.

The most amazing thing about the landscape was that there was absolutely no tree's to be seen!! 95% of the entire country is tree less, and this due to the altitude and severe cold weather I'm sure.
Getting out of the Jeep just on first light was so cold on the head and feet and was indescribable. The rest of my body was fine as I had quality thermal gear (defence tech), some gear that I brought from the USA (bib and brace hunting pants) and a good pair of ski type gloves, I was also wearing two pairs of thermal socks, yet my toes were still feeling the cold, and there wasn't even snow on the ground were we were standing. I had a beanie/balaclava on, along with the hood from my Swazi jacket, yet it was still cold in the wind. Strangely the cold never seemed to affect the guides.
Chris and I along with the Zorick glassed the valleys and rock crevices looking for sign of Ibex moving or sunning itself as the this is certainly where I would expect the Ibex to be after such a cold night.
Yet nothing moved or was sighted so we climbed back into the warm Jeep, and drove further up the valley to glass again.
We had just gotten out of the jeep, when Zorick indicated to us that he had spotted a grey Wolf running up the gully about a 300 meters away. Wow what a awesome sight watching this speeding, yet surprisingly large animal sprint up the ravine trying to put as much distance between us and himself, and we continued to watch the wolf until it crested the mountain and dropped over the opposite side. After glassing for a while we again without any sightings we continued on further up the valley.
The Grey wolf is currently C.I.T.E.S. listed in Mongolia,therefore, permits are and paperwork need to be in order before one could take such a splendid animal.
Our next glassing section revealed our fist group of Ibex, however they were all nannies, yet it was great to put the glasses on some game, and now that we had a idea on what we were looking for they became easier to spot.
With no billies in sight, we radioed Dean and Moochie to see if they had any Billy sightings. Moochie explained to Zorick that indeed they had located a couple but were unsure of the size, so were arranged to meet up with them and set the spotting scope up for a assessment.
We located the others at the foot of a mountain , glassing a rocky outcrop. It took me ages to locate the Ibex with my binos, however once I spotted my first Ibex Billy, I was so impressed by their appearance up on the rock faces. We set the spotting scope up, yet everybody found it hard to determine the trophy size, however strangely there was a additional Billy bedded down a few meters above the one in the scope, and once he was pointed out to me by Chris, I realised it was a much bigger animal.
Dean and I discussed if we should make a stalk on this animal and I had said to Dean that if he doesn't give it a go , then I would.
Dean decided that he would be keen to have a crack so Moochie, Dean, along with Chris as video camera man, climbed the steep mountain, also tagging along was the local tribesman (who we later dubbed "stinky" for obvious reasons).
They had saddled around the back of the steep hill, completely out of sight from the Ibex, yet Zorick and I could see the hunt unfold from the base of the mountain, watching both the Ibex - and the hunters make their stalk. We also had the UHF radios on to communicate with them if the animals were to get up and move or spook.
1/2 hour into there long assent up the mountain, we noticed the Ibex start to get up and mill around whilst feeding , we let the guys know by radio that they need to get a move on as the Ibex where now on the move.
There was no doubt that the Ibex where aware of some impending danger, yet were unsure of there next move, as they were already up high, and the lower sections were very open and bare. Eventually, Dean and the guys located the Billies, and after using the rangefinder that determined that the distance was around 260 meters. They Ibex were standing slightly broadside to Dean, however only its neck, head and horns were visible and they decided to wait for them to step out from some rocks.
At this point Zorick who was down the bottom with me had a much better chance to asses the biggest Billy's horns, which to me seamed huge, yet he was convinced that the were only around 35 inches. He radioed Moochie to let Dean know, yet Dean at that exhausting point, felt happy to take him as he did look big. As soon as the larger Billy stepped away from the rock he was behind, Dean touched off a shot that hit the ibex too far back. A follow up shot completely missed, yet he connected with the third shot, straight behind the ear and out through the right eye - on the run!
All of this happened in full view from us at the bottom of the hill, and watching the ibex cartwheel down the hill after Deans 3rd shot was something special to see.
We drove the jeep as close as we could up the steep gully, then I proceeded to climb up th dean to congratulate him on some fine shooting and a respectable trophy. Dean was a little disappointed at the horn size as the animal certainly suffered from ground shrinkage, yet Chris and I explained to him that he had made a great stalk and took a ripper of a shot on the run, and had really earned the representative trophy. Dean was happy but also unsure as he had come such a long way yet his hunt seemed like it was over.
We then proceeded to take a heap of pictures and some more video, whilst "stinky" the tribesman collected the blood from the animal into water bottles, as it was said to give the Mongolians strength.

They then gutted the animal and carried it whole down the mountain to the jeep.
We now stopped and had some lunch (sandwiches and tea).

"Stinky's" help in moving the animal down the mountain was fantastic to say the least as the guy, who looked around 50 Years old, (yet was in fact 30) was as strong as an Ox and did some hard work with little fuss. He was also very helpful towards Zorick and Moochie, as his local knowledge was invaluable.

Dean and his Ibex.

Straight after lunch, Moochie was to return to camp, together with the Ibex for skinning and butchering, as nothing is wasted.
Meanwhile the rest of us (including "stinky") would continue looking for some more Billy's, which this time of year, would be grouped up, as the rut is not until much later in the year. Zorick explained too us that finding big Billy's this time of year was more difficult due to the fact that they were not chasing the nannies, however the magnificent capes on the animals at this time of year make them so much more attractive, which was sure a factor in us going during this severe winter.

We found many more groups of ibex throughout this area, however nothing bigger than Deans ibex and as the day started to disappear, we then made the long journey back to the camp, as this days hunting was over.

Day 5 - the epic hunt of my life.

The morning was a repeat of yesterday, as we had the same breakfast, and left around the same time. This time however, Zorick and Moochie decided to take us in the opposite direction from yesterday to look at a different valley, ever hopeful of finding a large group of mature male Ibex.

At the first glassing stop, it was first opportunity to sneak off and answer the call of nature. Getting behind a few rocks, (as there was too many cameras and bino's for my liking around), I proceeded to undress and with the full effects of the icy cold wind on my now bare skin, there was no way of extending the time crouching there enjoying the view! I eventually got all my layers of clothes back on, and headed back to the others, who stated that they believed there were a few Ibex up on the Cliff faces, yet a closer inspection was required.
We drove closer to the entrance to this valley , then once again got out to glass rocks and cliffs. In times like these that quality binos are the way to go as you are glassing for hours and hours without getting eye strain, and makes you realise the extra dollars in buying top quality optics was well worth it.

It was not long before Dean spotted a very nice Billy up high near some rocks, which from a distance looked like a entrance to a cave.
(The rocks, caves, cliffs and endless mountain range made me realise why the American Armed Forces were having such a hard time trying to find Osama Bin Laden in simular type country!)

The spotting scope revealed a number of very good Ibex and it was time to put the hard yards in!

As there were are couple of big Ibex together, the plan was for Chris and I to try and shoot at the same time, once we got into position and as it was my shot next, I got to choose which one to take first.

This was my first real climb since being here, and Dean and Chris had warned me how difficult it was to breath during the accent, as the air is definitely thinner in this region and once you start exerting yourself, getting oxygen back into your lungs was much more difficult than at low altitudes. We were at about 9000 feet, and together with the icy cold air, every breath seemed to 'burn' your lungs. Now I'm not the fittest guy to begin with, however I didn't come all this way to shoot a Ibex out the window of a moving Jeep, and I was confident of giving this stalk my best shot (no pun intended).

Chris and I followed Zorick up the mountain, with Dean and Moochie close behind. Yep - my lungs were burning after the first 20 meters of uphill climbing and I had no doubt this was going to be tuff.
I was constantly stopping to catch my breath, and the guys above waited for me as both Chris and I had to be in position to shoot at the same time.
I eventually made it to where we needed to be and as we crept and crawled to get into position, a previously unseen Ibex spotted us and started leading the group away. Zorick said they were around 230 meters away (using his rangefinder) but there were quite a number of them as they climbed around the rocky outcrops, we had to race higher and around to get a opportunity for a shot before they dropped over the other side, yet I just could not keep up with both Chris and Zorick. Zorick was telling Chris to shoot the moment the largest Ibex stopped to look back, Chris was a bit reluctant as he we had agreed that I was too shoot first, yet I assessed the situation and urged Chris to take the opportunity if the chance presented itself.
The Ibex stopped at the top of the saddle for one last look back and this was the chance Chris needed. Chris was shooting a left handed Remington 700 mountain rifle in .300 Rem ultra mag. together with a 6 x 24 Swarovski scope, and he certainly is not new to taking long shots at game, he felt confident to take the shot at just over 300 meters. There was a solid hit with the first shot and all the Ibex headed over the saddle bar the big Billy, as he was not feeling crash hot at this point. Another shot anchored the animal for good, and again it was congratulations all round.
Chris was concerned that I would have been disappointed since I was to supposed to shoot first, but nothing could be further from the truth as I new I could not get there in time and this was a nice Ibex, not to be missed out on.

Chris and his Ibex

The photo section was on again in earnest, as was the removal of the blood for Mongolian strength. I thought that we may have been a bit too high up to take the whole animal out, and I was expecting a capeing job then and there, but I was mistaken. Once again the whole animal was too be carried down the mountain , only to be caped out (full body mount) and butchered back at camp.

Dean suggested to Zorick that since we had climbed so high, and we knew of a few other Ibex in the ridge tops, that maybe Chris and Moochie could do the carry out whilst we continued the hunt. Although quite stuffed and cold at this point, I thought it was a good idea, as I hate going down hill after a long climb, only to know that I would eventually have to climb back up.
The plan was made to head just bellow the top of the ridge, and saddle around to where other Ibex had been spotted from below.
Moochie was also to keep in radio contact with Zorick to try and guide us from the bottom of the valley to where the biggest Billy's were.
It was about a 2km walk around the top (it was absolutely freezing cold when the wind picked up) when Zorick noticed a big Billy at the entrance to a small cave. This was the perfect set up as we had boulders all around us, perfect position to take the shot, the ibex was unaware of our presence, and only 130 meters away to boot.
I got myself a solid rest, after chambering a round and settled down to wait for the Ibex to turn side on and clear a boulder that was blocking his chest area. Zorick told me to be patient as we had the drop on this animal and we could wait until all was perfect. I continued to watch this great animal through the Burris scope, set on 14 power, safety still on and slowly my breathing was returning to some normality. Just when I thought about flicking the safety to the fire position, as my now ungloved right hand was starting to loose all feeling, Zorick whispered too me to "don't shoot" as he indicated that 400 meters further on was a even bigger Ibex.
"How big" I asked as the one in the scope looked to be as big as the one Chris had shot and I would have been more than happy with that.
"About 3 inches bigger than Chris's Ibex"
Remember - I was past being stuffed, and really, really, spent, I found it hard to not shoot this more than respectable Ibex just for a few extra inches on the horns. I looked at Dean and asked what he thought he said "up too you, but its bloody cold up here and we better make a decision soon" as the wind was picking up considerably. (Boy does that wind chill factor really make the temperature plummet!)

Hell, if I was to shoot the respectable Ibex that was in front of me right now, I was always going to regret not chasing the bigger one, especially as it was "only" over to the next ridge to bring me within shooting range.

"Stuff it " I said, I was not about to die wondering, "lets get the big fella"!

We then back tracked slightly as not to spook the Billy that was in front of us, then headed even higher up and above the and behind the small cave that housed the Billy I just passed up. (I was thinking how close we were to this one as we slipped behind his domain). The next 400 meters to get into position for a shot at this big ibex was extremely hard as the wind was now causing the snow on the saddles to swirl around us. Nevertheless I kept telling myself how proud I was too have passed up the other ibex to have a crack at the big one. The walking wasn't so bad here as we were already near the top and were not climbing so much , but the cold on my head was unbearable.
We finally made it into position once again , but this time the range was 260 meters, and there was a number of Ibex grouped together. I could see which one was the big guy, as his skin was darker than the others and the horns seemed to curl around nicely.

Zorick made me count the ibex through my bino's and then indicate which one was the target animal. We agreed it was the one at the top of the group closest to the rear. I was confident of making the shot from this distance, however, I new I had to be comfortable and still, to make this happen. I needed to move up ever so slightly to get just right, when the next thing you know some of the Ibex started sprinting away from us, as they must have seen me move!
"F&*K" they were gone across two more ridges in no time, I did all that hard work was for nothing. I was shattered, cold and exhausted to the point I could barley move, yet Zorick was not about to give in. He waited for them to cross the saddle and then called Moochie on the radio to drive around the base of the mountain and see if the group had settled down.
We waited there huddled up for the next 20 minutes waiting for word from Chris and Moochie.
I was feeling pretty dejected at this stage, I doubted that we would see them again today, plus I had already pushed my self to the max - or so I thought!!

The call came through that the Ibex we were chasing had settled down over the other side of the mountain and Zorick said "lets go".
I really did not think I could make it as it was more uphill climbing, the wind was severe by now, and there was at least another mile or more to go.
I had trouble keeping up as Dean and Zorick kept getting further ahead, I could barley lift my head to see them as the wind and snow flurries were blinding. As I contoured around the mountain in their general direction, alone now and wondering why the hell I didn't shoot the easy one a hour or so ago!
I looked up and both Dean and Zorick were no where to be seen. There was no point them walking off without me as I was the only one with a rifle up here so they had to wait for me anyway! I plodded along in the same general direction, no feeling in my toes by now, and really concerned about not knowing which way they had gone. I once again looked up and 100 meter further UP the hill was Dean, waving his arms. I hate walking up hills!! I ploughed on up to him as he now was huddled under a few rocks out of the wind. "where the hell is Zorick" I asked, Dean shrugged his shoulders as he too had lost him and only came to these rock to try and get some shelter from the wind. It must have been at least - 30 C probably colder!
Dean was really getting concerned about his toes, as he had no feeling in them for quite some time now.
Dean then said " If I don't make it out, tell my wife and Kids that I love them " I looked at him and we both burst into laughter, as we really looked like a scene out of a survival movie!

Out of the gloom we noticed Zorick coming back to get us, as he had located the Ibex and they were "not too far away now". (easy for him to say).
We continued over to where the ibex were suppose to be, when again we got noticed by some nannies who were milling around nervously. Zorick said it was now or never, so we snuck up and around some rocks to reveal the same (I think) big Ibex. They were just about to move off again, as Zorick said "quick shoot".
I had nowhere to rest my rifle and the Ibex was at least the same distance as before (260 meters). Zorick quickly sat in front of me , letting me use his shoulder as a rest, and as soon as the cross hairs were on that big billies body, I squeezed off a round. There was a loud thud, and I new I had connected, as the rest of mob headed out of there quick smart, my Ibex was going nowhere!
I yelled out a big whoop and slapped Zorick and Dean on the back as I was almost overcome with exhaustion. Three hour"s or more had passed since Chris had shot his ibex!
We moved over too my Ibex and even now my thigh muscles were cramping up, yet we still had a lot of work to do!

Photos, gutting and carrying the beast off the mountain, I reflected I what I had put myself through never believing I could push myself to such limits. The reality though was I never would have if Zorick or Dean had not insisted and pushed me along.

Yours truly with the Ibex in the story at the end.

This was the most physically hardest hunt I had ever done.

Tony.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Good one Tony. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fun read. I was pushing for you to "keep going"! LOL Congrats to you and your buddies on some fine ibex.
Question, what would you do differently if you were to go again? Any different clothing? Boots? Cologne for 'stinky'?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Good account of your hunt Tony,you must be over the moon with how it ended up and it was refreshing to read how you pushed on in your quest instead of pulling the pin like many other`s would have done.... now seeing that you got such a nice one it`s your buy for the beers when we get together haha.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

posted Hide Post
thanks for the report, what was the hunt date and operator?

Posts: 50 | Location: Winfield, KS | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, what a thrill I bet !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil to all the successful hunters! There is a certain magic to mountain hunting, eh?

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and a great report.

Which outfitter did you use?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I enjoyed you report and photos very much.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudos on finishing well. The ibex hunts are really interesting and different.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony for the report. I enjoyed it!! Great Ibex!

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Nice report I enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing. Congrats on lovely ibex.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Nice Job! Hunt of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great report!
It was very interesting reading. Especially since I`m going after Siberian Ibex in two months.. We`re actually supposed to hunt close to the Mongolian border.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. My congratulations. A hunt I have always dreamed of taking. beer

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report... wonderful trophy! Congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful report! Thank you for sharing and congratulations.

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Great report. Nice story telling.

Nice trophy's I guess the animals are almost second to the experience

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Very nice billies, congrats!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind remarks guys.

I would certainly recommend the experience to anyone who like the idea of mountain hunting and to push yourself that little bit harder. (especially if your not a fit as maybe i should have been). The winter coats on these Ibex need to be seen to be believed!!

Cheers, Tony.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if you can still bring back Ibex hides and horns back to the US as luggage? That saves a lot of money!
I all most booked a hunt for this fall, When I asked about bring back the hides and horns back as luggage the booking agents did not seem to know? Some said you could and some said you could not. I all so was warned by a few hunters that Ibex numbers were lower because of a hard winter. I would like to hear from anybody that has hunted Ibex this year.
My email is jjohnson@alaska.net
Thanks

Great hunt report!

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,
I hunted Mongolia in Oct of 06', so almost two years ago. We went there with the intention of bringing back our hides as luggage. Upon arrival in Ullan Battor we were told that this would be the case and they made sure we brought duffels to pack them in so that we could purchase them before we left town.

Upon our return to Ullan Battor the regulations had changed and we could no longer bring the trophies back as luggage. We never recieved the trophies until March of 07. Thankfully the hides were fine and had no problems.

I had a friend go there Oct of 07 and he was not allowed to bring the trophy parts back either. I believe this is the standard procedure now. You have to wait for your trophies to be shipped to you...

Duggaboybuff,
Do you know when the Wolf was listed CITES in Mongolia? I ask because my hunting partner took two wolves and the friend of mine that went last year shot a wolf as well, niether of which had to do any CITES paperwork.

Nice trophies, most of the adventure is just getting there isnt it

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
I had no problem taking the ibex home as luggage, (except Australian customs were a pain as usual), neverthelesss we got them through ok, including my mates argali.

One of the guides was under the impression that we could shoot wolf, whilst the other said you needed the C.I.T.E.S certificate to take them home?? So I am not sure of the correct ruling, however we played it safe and did not shoot any, not that we tried to hard for wolf anyhow. Also there was some nice wolf skins at the curio and souvineer shops that also suggested that it would be difficult for us to export without the correct paperwork, so I would say that this information is correct and the Asian wolf is now cities listed. maybe somebody can confirm this??

Also picture is Chris's Argali that he shot before Dean and I arrived in Mongolia:

Cheers, Tony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Gobi?

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
Is that a Gobi?

Mid Alti Argali i believe.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
He's a little ram that's all I know.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
I just Picked up My Ibex from The Taxidermist: