Find
Notify
Tools

Eating Camel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted
I have the opportunity to hunt feral camels in the Australian Simpson Desert this July. I understand young ones can be a particularly delicacy.

I have also heard a few things.

1) The adult hump is very edible. Do you just cut a strip off and cook it up ?

2) Is there any particularly prefered way of cooking it ?

3) The leg bones make great scales for cutlery ?

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eating Camel

I've heard their toe is particularly tasty, if you can get past the smell.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
Eating Camel

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
the closest thing I could compare it to is moose knuckle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to do this hunt sometime!!
If for any reason, just to see the middle of nowhere OZ.

As for eating the big ugly bastards, let us know.. I'm sure there is alot to be desired.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I saw one of those travel / Discovery programs where camel kababs were served in the desert and the program host who was a city woman from the west raved about the delicacy.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
Eating Camel

That's one of the funniest things I read. rotflmo

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I was actually asking questions in the hope of a serious reply. Perhaps from some of the Arab members but in light of the replys, I'll gladly give up rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that made my morning. Damnit, Toes was the first thing that came to mind.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are other things that look like camel toe and are tasty to eat as well!

www.cameltoe.com

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Kazakhstan for a couple of years and ate camel there. It was not much to enjoy. A bit greasy, stringy and strong. Pass next time.

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I lived in Kazakhstan for a couple of years and ate camel there. It was not much to enjoy. A bit greasy, stringy and strong. Pass next time.

you should have chicken fried it and whipped up some cream gravy. tu2

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
In 1983, worked on a project in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; for a couple months. We had our own dining hall that was seperate from the 4,000 Sri Lankan workers the company employed, and one of the things on the menu every day was "beef fillet steak". The first time I ordered it, I expected to get a fillet mignon. Boy, was I surprised to see these flat pieces of greasy meat that didn't taste good. At fist, I just chalked it up to bad beef from the Middle East. About a month or so into my assignment, I was talking to one of the cooks and asked him about the fillet steaks, telling him that they weren't very good. His reply was that we were usually eatin camel, and only very rarely did they actually serve beef. That was the last time I ordered "beef" anything from our dining concession. After that, when I wanted a good steak, I drove to the Riyadh Hilton and ordered a New York, medium rare.

No wonder I lost 22 pounds in 2 months working there!

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten camel once in India. It was delicious and was prepared in a kebab form by a friend. I cant remember which muslim festival it was but on the day each year they would cut a camel. The funny/sad part is that they would parade the camel around the locality with a big sign saying that I am going to be butchered on so and so day come and buy some camel meat. Wonder how that would go down in the Western world Smiler.

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had it once and that was one time to many. camel tastes kinda like it looks UGLY animal

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There was an episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" on camel preparation and cooking. He said it was good. You might try to google it.
Good Luck!

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pir_Danish
posted Hide Post
we love to eat camel meat here in pakistan. my friend trackerNZ from new zealand has also tried it when he was hunting with me in Sindh. the name of the dish is Nihari, we also make chapli kebabs with it.

Posts: 789 | Location: Karachi & London | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Danish,

You must prepare some grilled camel for me sometime. I've only ever wanted to shoot one for its unique skull, they look rather predatory once the flesh is removed! I bet their tanned hides, in winter hair, would make for fine rugs as well?

Please comment if you see my post.

Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pir_Danish
posted Hide Post
Ann it would be my pleasure. the camel meat is very tender.. and you are right, rugs and shawls made out of camel hair are highly valued. :-)

Posts: 789 | Location: Karachi & London | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With Quote