Find
Notify
Tools

News from Mongolia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From the SCI: In the Crosshairs

News from an SCI source out of Mongolia indicates that the Government of Mongolia has closed the Altai argali (Ovis ovis ammon) hunt due to a sharp decrease of the argali population, brought about by a severe winter. Also, the Mongolian Government will cut by 30% the total number of argali and ibex tags as compared to last year.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm watching this one myself as I hope to book an altai ibex hunt in the next couple of years. Those altai argali are beautiful but out of my league.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Word we are getting from our friends in Mongolia is:
1. There is a new (young) Minister of Nature and Environment who was just appointed.
2. The Altai Argali hunting is being closed in the Khovd and Uvs areas...it will remain open in the Bayan-Ulgii region.
3. There is talk of going to an "auction" format for issuance of the permits...if you thought prices were high before, hang on to your shorts.

Permits are likely to be reduced for ALL hunts in Mongolia...likely to be about 45 total for Argali (all species) and about 130 total ibex permits.

If you want to book Mongolia for 2008 you best get to booking...things will fill early (like they did this year).

Want details...contact me.

Clark Jeffs
Safari Outfitters
410 W. Yellowstone Ave.
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 587-5596 or clark@safari1.com

SAFARI OUTFITTERS

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Jeesh!

Even if it's $10k dollars for an ibex it still beats

$13k Euro in Spain
$15k Euro in the Alps
or 10K Euro in Turkey

I am saving my schilingi it's my next foreign hunt.

Goal is 2010, maybe someone else will want to team up for Gobi ibex and Gazelle and roe deer.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The Euro is $1.50 at current economy. However the good news is that the Pound is dropping like a rock. Maybe Britain will be affordable again someday.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am saving also for either 2009 or 2010 for ibex, etc. but not argali...I wish. I would like to go with someone from the AR board so we will see what happens.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Yukon let me know, we could team up on this thing.

I will have to work it around military deployments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
As an update to my previous post...I just spoke with our partner in Mongolia and it appears that the permit numbers in Mongolia are expected to be near the same in 2008 as was 2007... 60 total permits for Argali (all species)...that will likely break down to be 10 for Altai Argali and 50 for Gobi & Hanghay.

For ibex it looks like 200 will be the issued number of permits.

Much of this is preliminary as they are in a transitionary process with some new government ministers and such, but things are looking better.

Also, to help eliminate the corruption, they are still talking of having live auctions for permits...this will eliminate the chance for "favors" to be given in the form of permits to those who are not even involved in the outfitting business.

Stay tuned for updates here or contact me directly if you are keen on booking a hunt or discussing Mongolia further.

Yours for good hunting,

Clark Jeffs
SAFARI OUTFITTERS

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds promising. I'm hoping they don't reduce the permits any more than absolutely necessary as ibex are on my short list.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Got any leads on Powerball winning numbers?

If I win I'll take you and Bryan to Mongolia, we'll shoot a video with the 3 of us taking all 3 Mongol rams, ibex, roe, and gazelles.

Let me know if you figure out those winning powerball numbers. I will try and find room in my playboy-esque life to fit it in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the lotto but just point me up the mountain and I'll make it.

I just don't want to drink the fermented mare's milk. shocker

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
What's it called ivaq? Sounds wonderful, kind of like that fermented walrus buried in the sand for 2 years before it's eaten. Or the Icelandic treat of rotten shark!

Sometimes I think a lot of the worlds food is based on a dare!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This talks about it...

http://www.mongolfood.info/en/recipes/ayrag.html

There are a number of things that you probably don't want to know about. No wonder that Soudy takes peanut butter with him on these trips.