Find
Notify
Tools

RIP - Donald Anderson
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I heard the sad news today from my cousin.

Don Anderson (son of Kenneth Anderson) passed away in the last few days.

My brother & cousin knew him in recent years and enjoyed visiting the Wild Life sanctuaries around Bangalore.

I remember as a school boy, Don visiting my dad to renew his annual hunting license.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that Donald did far more hunting than his father who wrote the books!

Posts: 2541 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Another piece of history gone but not forgotten.

Don did write a chapter in his own words in one of his dad's books, it was accompanied by a great photo of him taking a charging leopard with a bolt action and he appears to be left handed (see photo below).

Naki there was a sister, June I think her name was, who apparently ended up living in Australia. Do you know anything of her?

Whatever happened to the trophies and guns of Kenneth and Don, I understand Don had no children?

Posts: 3868 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes Arjun, that would be right. Don was a senior manager at the old Binny Mills in Bangalore.

Eagle, I do not know much about the family. Old man Kenneth was a 5th(?) generation Scott. His wife was Anglo Indian.

Don never married and was in a bad way the last few years. He was living in a small room at the back of a friends place in Bangalore. My cousin bought up a whole bunch of old hunting books from him & paid him handsomely for them (as he refused to accept help in the form of cash.)

He liked visiting the local wildlife sanctuaries like Bandipur & Mudumalai & really preferred to travel in my brother's Tata Safari!

All guns were sold long ago.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Thanks Naki,

Sad to hear Don's final few years were no so good for him. So many memories of great adventures gone now.
I hope you and your cousin are on best buddy terms and you can get a loan of some of those old books. I'm your best friend so perhaps they could find their way here for a read too tu2

Posts: 3868 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wildlife lover passes away

Bangalore
Times News Network

Wildlife lover Donald Malcolm Stuart Anderson, popularly known as Don Anderson (in pic), passed away on July 12. He was 80.
Don, the second son of writer-hunter Kenneth Anderson, was suffering from agerelated ill nesses. He died in sleep at his house on Serpentine Street, Richmond Town. He is survived by sister June, who lives in Australia.

Don accompanied his fa ther on expeditions in for ests near Bangalore and got inspired by the richness of wildlife. Born on February 18, 1934, he studied at Bishop Cotton Boys' School, and later worked at Binny factory where he retired as a manager. Don's funeral will be held at St Mark's Cathedral on July 19, 10.30am.

Posts: 14 | Location: u s | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don did write a chapter in his own words in one of his dad's books

Did you have the name of this book?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a leopard hunt in Namibia where I was reading some of Kenneth's books on a Kindle, while in the blind.

Sadly I read of Donald's death while there.

God, what a life they had!

Posts: 542 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:
quote:
Don did write a chapter in his own words in one of his dad's books

Did you have the name of this book?

The book is "Man-Eaters and Jungle Killers", the chapter written by Donald is "The Great Panther of Mudiyanoor".

A copy of the book is currently advertised on our TradeMe auction site, but the asking price is pretty steep, see link below. I got all of Jim Corbett's books that he wrote and three of Anderson's books, some first edition, from the TradeMe site paying only $20-$25 each for them.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/books...uction-762156273.htm