Find
Notify
Tools

Getting to Kamchatka...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted
We just received info on an airline that looks to be picking up the route from Anchorage to Petropavlovsk....details here:
Safari Bullet #145 - Big news for Kamchatka hunters!

Best,
Clark Jeffs
Safari Outfitters

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice I am saving for the sheep!

Kind of beats the hell out of paying $35,000 to hunt Stone sheep!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good news on the flights. I sure wouldn't want to fly the other direction.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the problem is they are not starting until July and finishing in Sept-kinda screws up spring bear season and shortens fall bear/moose/sheep season

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13172 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still better than what we had. I have a cousin that at various times has been the director of operations for several Alaskan air and freight companies. He is also fluent in Russian. He had several companies go out of business trying to do Russian flights. It's a tough business for some reason. I think it's the other side that has most of the problems.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option you might look at is to fly to south korea,then to Khabarvosk then onto petro. I know this might be a longer way comming from the states but that is the best way for us guys going from Australia and Khabarvosk is a fantastic little city to spend a couple of days unwinding.Just a thought and there are more flights

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
DON'T try the Khabarovsk route....you will find that the flights from Khab to Petro are limited to a few days a week and will be stuck in Khab for a day or three each way...+ it makes it hard for whoever is meeting you with your gun permit to coordinate this. Russian regulations require that whomever meets you with your gun permit, also has to travel back with you when you depart from the country....if you don't go directly from Anchorage to Petro, your next best option is to go to Moscow and then over to Petro. There are daily flights from Moscow and this is a much easier (although longer) way to go.
We tried the Khab route a few years back...each hunter ended up spending about $1500 each for hotels and such in transit + they were basically stuck in Khab for 2 days going over and 3 days coming back....there is NOTHING to do in Khab.

Hope that helps some of you.

BE VERY CAREFUL of whom you work with over there... especially on the moose and bear hunts. If you like hunting illegally from helicopters there are many of those to be found. Finding a quality outfitter who operates in a legal manner is the trick.

We (Safari Outfitters) opened Kamchatka to hunting back in 1990...we know it well.

As for moose, in all honesty, you would be better off to spend your money on a hunt in Alaska or Yukon/NWT. There are some big moose in Russia, but getting to them is double tough. The logistics involved and the cost associated make it difficult at best.

Contact me for details...I have hunted there a couple of times and am familiar with all aspects of the region.

Our 2008 catalog is available for viewing online at our website or contact me and I will have one mailed to you for free!

Cheers,

Clark Jeffs
SAFARI OUTFITTERS, INC.

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BE VERY CAREFUL of whom you work with over there... especially on the moose and bear hunts. If you like hunting illegally from helicopters there are many of those to be found. Finding a quality outfitter who operates in a legal manner is the trick.

When i speak with so called ´´Hunters´´ comeing back from Kamchatcka the are telling my there is no hunting expect from Helicopter ---Drop and Pick--- for Moose, Bear etc... Thats New to me Fair Chaise and Kamtchatka !

Seloushunters

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
That's good news on the flights. I sure wouldn't want to fly the other direction.

I have done that. Sixty-four hours from Omaha, NE to camp on the peninsula with no hotels along the way. You sleep on planes, busses and helicopters along the way and become a pro at "wet-wipe" showers. Would I do it again? Hell yes!! I shot the bear of my dreams, and came home no worse for the wear.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote